• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:18 PM

Any others around here brew their own beer? I know of only one other so far.

• Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:21 PM

I have no idea what homebrewing is, but I am very interested! Is it complicated? Is it expensive (equipment and ingridients)?

#3 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:30 PM

I have no idea what homebrewing is, but I am very interested! Is it complicated? Is it expensive (equipment and ingridients)?

Not difficult at all really. Start with a book THE COMPLETE JOY OF HOME BREWING Book (Papazian)I picked one up at the library since I never have any money. lol But I only made it through about half the book before it was returned.. just don't have the time to sit and read.
Then I ordered this kit WindRiver All World Apprentice Kit but you could make your own or find a Local Home brew shop to supply you or shop around the net. I'm sure they have a homebrew shop in your neck of the woods.

As far as expensive? for a hobby not really I was really in to RC's and that was a way more exspensive hobby with out the tasty reward. But it could get as exspensive as you really want it to just like anything else.

I'll have my second brew done this week sometime and still have a good amount to learn. it'll be an American honey ale.

The ingrediants can get pricey but if you do your research and buy larger amounts for down the road you'll get the costs down. my most recent batch cost me around $22 and it'll make 5 gallons ruffly about 2.5 cases of 12oz bottles.

Edited by Coy, 03 June 2010 - 09:33 PM.

#4 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:39 PM

this is a good instruction list that I followed w/ my first and second batch. WindRiver Kit Instructions

But if you read the book which I'm going to buy as soon as I'm settled moving. you'll be so much more educated then these simple instructions. I loved the book just haven't purchased it yet.

#5 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

I dont like beer at all but process can be dangerous if not done right cause the bubbling process if not done right the pressure can get too high in the bottle and acutally have exploding bottles.

#6 Stev27

Stev27

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 398 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:33 PM

One of the designers I work with has been brewing beer for years and my best friend use to do it often. The biggest pain seemed to be to keep the cooking area very sterile.

My favorite home brews that they have shared with me used pomegranates and another one used coffee beans. Very interesting flavors. I always look forward to trying their new dark and light ales too.

Beware Coy, it can be a very addictive and time consuming hobby! :D

#7 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:30 PM

I dont like beer at all but process can be dangerous if not done right cause the bubbling process if not done right the pressure can get too high in the bottle and acutally have exploding bottles.

In the fermentor (carboy or bucket) you should have an air lock. that lets the air out while the yeast is eating all the sugars to create the alcohol.

That is true. if you don't let the fermentation complete and bottle your brew too soon you could have what they call "bottle bombs".. or if you use to much sugar when bottling it could create to much pressure and have exploding bottles.

One of the designers I work with has been brewing beer for years and my best friend use to do it often. The biggest pain seemed to be to keep the cooking area very sterile.

My favorite home brews that they have shared with me used pomegranates and another one used coffee beans. Very interesting flavors. I always look forward to trying their new dark and light ales too.

Beware Coy, it can be a very addictive and time consuming hobby! :D

I've seem some good recipes for pomegranate and coffee brews. I'm still learning so once I start getting better I'll move into some more unique ingrediants.

It is very addictive, kinda like a continuous science experament..

And yes the thing that I hate the most is the sanitizing of equipment.. but it's not too bad.

#8 Stev27

Stev27

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 398 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:26 PM

And the best part (besides drinking your brew) is you get to design your own labels!

Good luck and happy experimenting Coy. :D

#9 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

And the best part (besides drinking your brew) is you get to design your own labels!

Good luck and happy experimenting Coy. :D

Yep that is a fun part.. even more fun is drinking your brew while making labels. :D

#10 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:55 PM

Never made beer... I did accidently make wine once, when I forgot a bag of grapes in my trunk for a few days after I brought the groceries in.... *gag

Hey Coy - have you ever made a full 6-pack, and gotten to design the cardboard bottle holder/carrying box thingy? That would be FUN!

Oh, and if you ever need a taste-tester, my address is... haha
:) Brandy

#11 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:29 PM

Never made beer... I did accidently make wine once, when I forgot a bag of grapes in my trunk for a few days after I brought the groceries in.... *gag

Hey Coy - have you ever made a full 6-pack, and gotten to design the cardboard bottle holder/carrying box thingy? That would be FUN!

Oh, and if you ever need a taste-tester, my address is... haha

I've done some packaging but not a sixer specifally for beer. I've done up some 4pack tea carriers though.

I've brewed 5 cases of beer so far though.. Made some special labels for my relatives. but didn't need any for my self.

I do want to send my Cousin a sixer for her wedding, I can get blank six pack carriers. but I'm not sure if I'll have the time since the wedding is on july 3rd and I'm remodeling (still) and moving by the end of the month. :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users