• This topic is locked This topic is locked
&nsbp;

#1 Chaky

Chaky

Banned

• Banned
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:12 AM

You kinda have to wonder what exactly Warner Bros. thought it was going to get in a film about a brutal serial killer helmed by goth-minded director Tim Burton. But the London Daily Mail is reporting that execs are so freaked about the superbloody content of Burton's Sweeney Todd that they've asked him to make cuts to his flick about slasher Todd (Johnny Depp), who slits the throats of his barber-shop clients, then drops them down a hole and into the pastry shop of Mrs. Lovett (Helena Bonham Carter), who grinds them up and uses them as filling for her mince pies. Piles and piles of prosthetic limbs were used during filming, while four crew members pumped fake blood as Todd hacked his way through his victims, singing along while he worked. The Daily Mail reports that some crew members had to take "fresh air" breaks during bloody filming, and Warner Bros. execs were reportedly particularly creeped out by a scene in which a 10-year-old boy does the grinding for Mrs. Lovett's pie filling. "Tim's not happy that the studio is asking for so many cuts to the cutting, as it were," a source says. "The thing is, the studio really likes the film, and they want to make it accessible to as big an audience as possible — which means stemming the blood flow." The movie hits theaters on Dec. 21.
----

Oh now come on.
What did they expect? Sheeeeeesh
:mad::)

#2 JonnyHoy

JonnyHoy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:47 AM

Not what I heard..

The current complaint is that they failed to remind us of the fact that the whole movie is told as a musical...or, should I say, conveniently omitted this from their marketing to ensure high ratings! ;)

#3 mik3y

mik3y

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:55 AM

i love that movie

#4 Cubo Magenta

Cubo Magenta

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:54 PM

Maybe the songs made it appear a little less bloody than it actually is.. It´s asier to watch him slit throats if he´s singing a nice song!! :D

#5 RizFiz

RizFiz

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:04 AM

Sweeny is never to bloody. What people need to understand is that violence and sexiness sell these days, and Sweeny Todd doesn't lack in either of these two factors. Throw in a dance number and some rather great lyrics to catchy tunes you have a movie that can be appreciated by both the music lover and the death fiends.

As for those who say that the fact that Sweeny Todd wasn't advertised as a musical found that to be misleading, Sweeny Todd was a book and a Broadway before hitting that silver screen. =) It would be distasteful not to throw in those tunes to jam to.

#6 orangekeeper

orangekeeper

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:52 AM

Loved the movie... It was bloody kinda similar to Kill Bill... lol. But it was worth watching...:D

#7 samueltolman

samueltolman

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:10 PM

Haven't seen it... previews didn't interest me much.

#8 Guest_visualchemist_*

Guest_visualchemist_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:46 AM

I've actually loved Johhny Depp since Jump Street, and I loved Tim Burton since Nightmare. I bought this DVD without seeing it in theaters, and yes, it is very bloody. Haven't finished it yet. I do hope there are more Depp/Burton collabos in the future. They are both awesome.

#9 rinaldidesigns

rinaldidesigns

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2258 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:32 PM

I do hope there are more Depp/Burton collabos in the future. They are both awesome.

hmmmm....edward scissorhands...charlie and the chocolate factory, corpse bride(depp did voice;)

Sweeney todd was excellent BUT way too much blood...

#10 Guest_visualchemist_*

Guest_visualchemist_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:32 PM

yes! scissorhands is my all time favorite, with corpse bride being a close second.

charlie, though, was a little weird for me. visually stimulating but johnny depp's character wasn't as warm and fuzzy as the original charlie. a little on the creepy side.

#11 rinaldidesigns

rinaldidesigns

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2258 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:37 PM

actually, the original mr. wonka(charlie is the boy)....gene wilder, was a off the wall character, which is total Dahl (aurthor)....I mean, to tell a kid "candy is dandy, but liqueur is quicker...;) and a snoozberry(eww)......:):)

we are a wonka fan family, we dressed as 4 oompa loompas, 6y ago...

again, perfect story for Depp/burton to remake...for its avant gardness;)

#12 Guest_visualchemist_*

Guest_visualchemist_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:12 PM

ahh yes. i stand corrected. I meant Willy Wonka. =) Thanks.

#13 Guest_visualchemist_*

Guest_visualchemist_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:58 PM

I found this image at http://nymag.com/dai...gory_to_wi.html

Haha Bloodier than Saw!

Posted Image

#14 AnthonyMejean

AnthonyMejean

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:34 AM

I found it to be very interesting. It was a little predictable towards the end, but still nice. I had to turn my head a few times because, yeah, it was quite bloody. haha. Great movie though. Totally the opposite of what you'd expect in a musical! Love it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users