• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#21 LPC

LPC

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:41 AM

nah, not really. It's not sluggish, but I wouldn't say it's fast.1Ghz dual processor with only a gig of ram. I'm still using my mirrored door G4 with OS 10.3.9.

do you have your scratch disk set to the same drive that the software is on? If not, try it (if you have the space/memory) It actually helps a lot.

You have a mac don't you...

my pc is a dual core 2.4 Ghz with 2gb of ram. I tried doing other stuff while in illustrator and found out I was wrong, I can pretty much run anything except Photoshop which is what I tried originally that lead me to the conclusion I had earlier.

#22 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:56 PM

You have a mac don't you...

my pc is a dual core 2.4 Ghz with 2gb of ram. I tried doing other stuff while in illustrator and found out I was wrong, I can pretty much run anything except Photoshop which is what I tried originally that lead me to the conclusion I had earlier.

Yep. I've been on the same mac for 5 years now. I run the Adobe CS2 suite all day (minus GoLive), Quark & iTunes and everything's as fast as I need it.

I would try setting your scratch disks to the same drive that your application is on, if it's not already...that really does seem to help.

#23 LPC

LPC

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:14 PM

Yep. I've been on the same mac for 5 years now. I run the Adobe CS2 suite all day (minus GoLive), Quark & iTunes and everything's as fast as I need it.

I would try setting your scratch disks to the same drive that your application is on, if it's not already...that really does seem to help.

k, I'll look into it... thanks for the advice :)

#24 adman79

adman79

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:32 AM

What relative world we're living in! Just remembered those guys who not so much time ago cut and paste their designs with scissors:) And they never complained about their "hardware" to be sluggish:)))

#25 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:22 PM

What relative world we're living in! Just remembered those guys who not so much time ago cut and paste their designs with scissors:) And they never complained about their "hardware" to be sluggish:)))

that's true, but they also didn't have clients that often expected press-ready files by end of day!

#26 mikemetalord

mikemetalord

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:42 AM

my cs3 crashes sometimes, but thats it. its cool.:)

#27 AlottaDots

AlottaDots

• Designer
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:58 AM

I just built a new PC. For graphics and movies. since i am always at my PC, i like to have a little movie now and then. After installing all my software and then putting on all my Adobe stuff, I realized that it was still just as slow as on my old PC. Kind of upset me since i upgraded a ton of stuff and went Dual core. While the movies were great and my software for playing guitar on the PC sounded awesome, I was really bummed that Illustrator still lagged. I uninstalled Illustrator and then everything else Adobe. Started over and put on Photoshop first, Then Illustrator 10. I upgraded from there to CS3 and it now runs flawless. I dont know what it was or what i did, other than what i just told you. But it works great now.

#28 external_eye

external_eye

Banned

• Banned
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:35 PM

I've got Illustator cs4 on t2080 1.73 Geforce Go 7300 and Win7 2BG of RAM. It's run well until you start another simple program.Illustrator still have heavy duty requirements to system.Corel and Quark run's very good and smooth compared to Illustator. So ,using Adobe products is always mean more RAM and more POWER needed.

#29 sushant9

sushant9

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:01 PM

I use portable Adobe Illustrator CS4 in my pc with having only 512mb RAM. It works good. It is only just of 650mb size. If any body needs it I can share it.

Thanks

#30 external_eye

external_eye

Banned

• Banned
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:58 AM

More detailed specs about your system???
How many layers and details you are made until slow down.
Which version of cs4 portable, because i.m tryin to run it on my
acer aspire one and it's work but for a simple stuffs. I'm running xp on it
What is your OS.

#31 chio_tg

chio_tg

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:54 PM

Well because of my job I have to copy some text from Power point, and then paste it into Illustrator (CS3 and 4)... Do someone know why sometimes, while I'm pasting it, Illustrator just quit unexpectedly:confused:?

#32 sevehn

sevehn

• Designer
  • 192 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:58 PM

yah - i do some of that "copy to pp and then paste to ICS4" and vice versa! - LOL!

also, was self-learning Ics4 - and was looking for the "crop" tool! geeez! i thought i was the only one having a hard time! check this link out!

Illustrator CS4: Cool but frustrating | Orkron Studios

yes Adobe ... why oh why?! -- hahahha!
:D
--
the best is yet to come ~

#33 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:05 PM

Well because of my job I have to copy some text from Power point, and then paste it into Illustrator (CS3 and 4)... Do someone know why sometimes, while I'm pasting it, Illustrator just quit unexpectedly:confused:?

are you using a MAC or PC?

On my MAC, that used to happen a lot if I had several applications open at the same time, so I devoted more memory to Illustrator and that seemed to fix the problem.
:) Brandy

#34 sevehn

sevehn

• Designer
  • 192 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:31 PM

On my MAC, that used to happen a lot if I had several applications open at the same time, so I devoted more memory to Illustrator and that seemed to fix the problem.

Hi Brandy - do you know how to crop an image in Ics4? - or is the only way to crop an image in Ics4 through "make-crop-mark" and then export? -- im on a pc machine.

please advice =)

thanks!
--

#35 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:47 PM

if you're using an image as part of a design and want to crop it down, you can draw a box around the part of the image that you want to keep, then make a clipping mask... here's a screen shot (I used my cat as a model :) ) :

#36 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:50 PM

the rest of the image is still there, just invisible. There is no white box around it, and you can add shadows or borders, or put things behind it.

Hope this was what you were looking for!

However, if you're just trying to crop a photo, but not add any other elements to the design, the best way would be to use Photoshop.

#37 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:51 PM

oh, and also noteworthy, a clipping mask can be any shape, not just a box, you could use a circle, rectangle, triangle, etc, or draw your own shape.

#38 sevehn

sevehn

• Designer
  • 192 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:55 PM

Wahoooooooooooooooooo!!!

EXCELLENT tutorial!!! =D just exactly what i was googling the web for! =D

Finally - the image is cropped! - LOOOL!!!

THANKS!

btw - cute kitty! -- i recently find myself exposed to cat-lovers! =D how young is your kitty btw?
--

#39 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:00 PM

YAY! so glad I could help!

My cat (Desmond) is about 4 years old... I found him a few years ago hiding in the wheel well of my car during a hurricane! I was out in the rain and wind, laying under my car trying to find what was screaming under there, and pulled out a tiny kitten with a giant head... he was too cute, so I kept him. He's not very friendly, though. haha!

#40 chio_tg

chio_tg

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:33 AM

... I use a PC at work (wish they could give us a mac ;_;).. but.. I think could be the same problem... I'm gonna try and we'll see how it works

thanksss =D

btw.. beautifullll kitten *-*.. not very friendly 'cause he's a street cat :p... I used to have a kitty, when he was little I found some kids kicking him :( so I adopted him to heal his wounds, he becomes a verryyy cuteee kitten *-* but also a tiger, omg I had several scratches from him... at the end he run away u.u

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users