• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#21 Carbon

Carbon

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:18 PM

Some excellent information here! It helped out a lot actually. And as for 2ndFloorDesign, I am not too sure what they mean by lack of caliper either. I think in the ends it's just there choice and judgment you have to go with. Though I don't quite understand there reasoning, your work is done very well.

#22 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:50 AM

Hi designsbyjulie and Carbon,

To be precise, we don't actually use the term "lack of caliper". That was strictly Mary's choice of words. DC just has a certain quality of designs that we are looking for, which I often refer to as the "quality standard" for designs. Each design in a portfolio is judged on a pass/fail basis - it either meets the standard or it doesn't. So there's nothing special or tricky that you have to present, as long as you have excellent designs to show off.

When I say "excellent", I really do mean Excellent! The designs have to be able to compete with the best of what's out there. I would love to recommend the Design Team for everyone, but the truth is that many (read: most) designers apply before they are ready.

#23 Carbon

Carbon

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:55 AM

To be precise, we don't actually use the term "lack of caliper". That was strictly Mary's choice of words. DC just has a certain quality of designs that we are looking for, which I often refer to as the "quality standard" for designs. Each design in a portfolio is judged on a pass/fail basis - it either meets the standard or it doesn't. So there's nothing special or tricky that you have to present, as long as you have excellent designs to show off.

When I say "excellent", I really do mean Excellent! The designs have to be able to compete with the best of what's out there. I would love to recommend the Design Team for everyone, but the truth is that many (read: most) designers apply before they are ready.

Thank you for clearing everything up _Redrum, and I would have to agree with you on that 100%, your either good enough or not :). I hope to apply soon, I'd just like to get involved in the community a little more!

#24 2ndFloorDesign

2ndFloorDesign

• Designer
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:03 PM

_Redrum, I appreciate the time and energy you took in helping me understand the bylaws of "excellence in design" so to speak. I still feel that my designs are of the right caliper, however, I just haven't shown you those logo designs yet. And now since I understand the level you're looking for, I promise I will reapply later when my portfolio is cleaned up a bit and it gives a better representation of what I'm doing now. Going back to the ABC's of effective logo design is an important structure that sometimes we all forget about and stray away from in order to make things more attractive. I'll delve back into my pool of designs and select those which capture the ABC's essence.
I hope this helps out other designers as well that want to be a design team member in the future.
Thanks
Mary

#25 yesk

yesk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:30 AM

Thanks for your info, very much helpful!

#26 machineman

machineman

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 05:53 PM

I look forward to joining the contests! :)

#27 machineman

machineman

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:05 PM

Thank's for the important info! :)

#28 reaper

reaper

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:56 AM

this post is very helpfull for those new arrived on designcontest.com,i asked the administator how to join the design team , but now is see this post.

#29 bro182

bro182

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:25 AM

who gets the copyright for the designers work?

#30 amrjones

amrjones

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:11 AM

Thanks for the tips!!

#31 amrjones

amrjones

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:15 AM

Thanks!!

#32 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:25 AM

I think you mean the right "caliber"...not "caliper". A caliper is a tool used to measure the width of something; whereas, "caliber" means a grade or value of worth.

sorry...I just had to get that off my chest.
  • SaraDesign likes this

#33 LPC

LPC

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:02 PM

very interesting, will definitely look into inspiration and instructional content... it's always nice to learn new things.

#34 RODRO

RODRO

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:20 PM

Thanks to all the staff!!

I'll try to do my best.. Learn and share...

Thanks again!
:)

#35 mangoseedstudio

mangoseedstudio

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:34 PM

Awesome, I cant wait to enter contests. Bro182 has a point. how is the copyrighting handled?

#36 rinaldidesigns

rinaldidesigns

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2258 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:41 PM

Hi:) The copyright is handed over to client......we soon will have a Transfer form.:)

#37 StellarPix

StellarPix

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:31 PM

Mm, i did not realize there was a screening process and created an awesome logo. Oh, well.. I guess I'll have another logo in my portfolio.
  • Radiyahasnain99 likes this

• Guests

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:33 PM

Mm, i did not realize there was a screening process and created an awesome logo. Oh, well.. I guess I'll have another logo in my portfolio.

that's true, an awesome logo will not hurt anyone's portfolio.

#39 mashke

mashke

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:33 AM

thanks for the heads-up :)

#40 tuhinadash

tuhinadash

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:08 PM

Not very new still new to this site...
coz' I'm not understanding that you are saying that there should
at least 10 forum posts.
Do you mean I have to reply to toher's form or parcipate in general discussion...

Help me out ...
Thanks,
tuhinadash

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: illustrator tips, metallic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users