• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Kramer

Kramer

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:02 PM

How many of us out there in Designerland still execute early drafts with pencil and paper, whether it be for web or print design?

As a GD graduate from way back in 1986, I still do a large amount of early work on paper (still use allot of marker work as well). I find that this allows me to quickly explore alternatives to a layout approach on any given project.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
http://www.jdkds.com

#2 Gorgon

Gorgon

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:24 AM

I'm still using paper to draft my idea. Like you said, its could explore the idea quickly. When I get the best idea or design, then I'll make it in Illustrator.

#3 Lerain

Lerain

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:26 PM

I find myself using pencil and paper more often lately and the results I get tend to suprise and satisfy me more than the ones I get without. So yea, I totally agree with you and I try to do it the 'oldschool way' as often as possible :)

#4 Tuoni

Tuoni

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:27 PM

I'm only 22, so I've been using the pc for most of my life allready, but for quickly designing stuff, even I tend to go back to drawing something on paper first, it's just easier and quicker to work out the early stages of most ideas.

I do find it quite difficult sometimes to digitalize what i've been drawing, especially to vectorize it, but I guess that will improve with some practice :)

#5 KHDZN

KHDZN

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 395 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:23 PM

I rarely use pencil and paper anymore -- a habit that I want to change. I found that once I graduated design school (10 years ago) and was working professionally, I didn't have the luxury of sketching ideas out. Time is money you know.

#6 Kramer

Kramer

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:36 PM

I rarely use pencil and paper anymore -- a habit that I want to change. I found that once I graduated design school (10 years ago) and was working professionally, I didn't have the luxury of sketching ideas out. Time is money you know.

Ain't that the truth. The pencil pushers that watch the bottom line don't seem to recognize the value of...well...pushin' pencils. :D
But now that I'm going it solo, I (finally) have the luxury of building in that upfront development time that I've been missing during my 20+ years in corporate settings.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
http://www.jdkds.com

#7 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:09 AM

You should remind them that it'll cost them less to receive 10 sketches than one higher quality design ;)

#8 DreamSky

DreamSky

• Designer
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:02 AM

As for me, it really depends on the design I have to do.
It is much faster to develop different concepts on a sketch with a pencil first, than directly on the pc.

I have a tablet which I am very used to working with already and it replaces my pencil when I design something on Photoshop.
But when it comes to vector graphics (e.g. logo design), I first sketch my ideas and then materialize those I like in vector on Illustrator :)

#9 Tuoni

Tuoni

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:51 PM

As for me, it really depends on the design I have to do.
It is much faster to develop different concepts on a sketch with a pencil first, than directly on the pc.

I have a tablet which I am very used to working with already and it replaces my pencil when I design something on Photoshop.
But when it comes to vector graphics (e.g. logo design), I first sketch my ideas and then materialize those I like in vector on Illustrator :)

Yeah, kind of the same here.

I also have a tablet, but only use it in combination with photoshop, it's really usefull for editing some things on pictures more fluently than with a mouse.

But when creating something out of nothing i really stick to paper and pencil and then digitalize it in illustrator

#10 atondex

atondex

• Designer
  • 247 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:39 AM

Whether it's a logo or a layout, I always start with a pencil and paper, and then for logos I scan the design, and for layouts I reproduce the design in a design software. You can't replicate the speed of pencil and paper on a computer, even with a graphics tablet.

#11 cthistle

cthistle

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:18 PM

I agree, whether its layouts for the boards i make or graphic design, i ALWAYS start with pencil and paper. Maybe becuase architecture school has programed me like that, but i can't imagine planning/designing anything any other way.

#12 jpa

jpa

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:58 PM

I always use pencil and paper making schematic designs to translate before in the computer. I found it very useful because you waste much less time and you can redesign the scheme quickly... and I began to design with a computer, not with a pencil.
Saludos!

#13 adammonk

adammonk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:57 PM

I agree, it also makes it look much better in the eyes of a client if you can rattle off some nice designs quickly in front of them.

#14 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:04 AM

Zero paper design at the moment. Only packaging I need to construct or fast notes I need to write down. Have been sketching less and less not sure why. But found I can just do the sketch in Illustrator as well and see how it looks. Cause sometimes you can sketch something that looks good but got line that don´t look nice when you finally vectorize them.

#15 purple

purple

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:17 AM

I have to agree as well. I personally have very little freehand drawing ability, but I still go to the sketchbook for early designing.

#16 PCALUALY

PCALUALY

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:59 AM

I'm 22 and have always liked using graph paper as a starting point. I feel more comfortable with this method and in control of the idea.

#17 anothersoldier

anothersoldier

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:11 AM

im 18 i've been using computers for most of my life doing animation and web design but I've only been designing logo's for about 2 years. I've tried drafting it on paper first but i've never been much for pencil and paper. I find that it works the best for me if I just open up illustrator, type in the clients name and start playing around with fonts and logo ideas. The logo usually starts to come together over the course of a few hours. I can never design something quite as good if im looking at something I drew on paper...i just have to get on the computer and feel it out.

#18 elantonio

elantonio

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:35 AM

I still use pen & paper when designing. And it's a good thing that there's still a lot of designers here doing the same.

#19 Warner Design

Warner Design

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:43 AM

I find it easier to do it on pc. If you mess up or don't like the design you just erase it completely or back up a couple steps and then you don't have a bunch of papers and messy eraser marks. Also once I find the design I like half the work is done because I was already sketching it in illustrator.

Looks like I'm only one of a few that prefer that method though.

#20 QuirkDesign

QuirkDesign

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:07 PM

I almost always start out by sketching on paper. It's the easiest way for me to explore ideas quickly. Plus I don't have to be sitting in front of a computer while I do it, which is kind of nice. I spend enough time there already. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users