School Decisions

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 awhipl

awhipl

• Designer
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:46 AM

So I'll try to keep this relatively short. I'm looking to get an outside perspective or some opinions on what I'm considering doing.

Currently I'm a sophomore at the University of California Santa Cruz. I'm currently pre-film but have realized that I made my decision to attend UCSC because it was the UC that I got into and had a major I was interested in (film.)

What I've now discovered is that in everything that I do, nothing excites me as much as working with graphics design (logos, sites, brainstorming etc.) which is something I've been doing for many years on a small scale just as a personal interest.

After speaking with a career counselor at the university and coming to the conclusion it'd be extremely difficult for me to try and piece together classes and try to make my own major, I'm now considering the following:

Stopping my course at UCSC and attending Cabrillo college, the local community college that has a very good digital media program (program introduction, design management etc) to get an AA, become better versed in the field and build a better portfolio to either transfer to a (CSU) or private art school, (Otis etc)

So my question is if you guys think it's a good idea to be taking courses aimed at the field I'm interested in and take the potential loss of x dollars that I've spent in two years at UCSC?

I'm extremely stressed and disappointed that only some classes may transfer and I've in some sense wasted time and money coming to this conclusion late in my college education.

Anyway, and thoughts would be appreciated.

-Adam

#2 rinaldidesigns

rinaldidesigns

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2258 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:24 AM

I'd say go for what you love doing, now it may be a loss, but in the long run, doing what you love, is the ultimate:)....
many community colleges offer fantastic courses in digital media, I started there, palomar college(san diego county)...the professors top notch, the classes awesome.

Again, many only dream of doing something they love, go for it:)
look at it as, it took 2 years to find your gound, life.

#3 illumina

illumina

Guru

• Designer
  • 2714 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:41 AM

This is an extremely heavy decision, noone here can advise you, because its something only you can know, nobody knows you, like you know yourself.
All I can say is weigh everything up, pro's, cons, do some soul searching and be absolutely sure of what you want to do.

#4 PixelFuze

PixelFuze

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:58 AM

Yea I'm going to have to agree with rinaldidesigns on this one. Do what you are interested and would be happy doing. There may be some loss on this path, but in the end it's worth it. Go with what you think feels best :).You an do it ;)!

#5 ejh

ejh

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:41 PM

In my opinion, stay at the school your at. I switch schools and it was super expensive. I've learned more by self teaching than anything else. Get tutorials, read books, post stuff that your trying out and listen to the feedback. It's more about what you can create not where you learned it. But thats just me.

#6 Guest_B.T.Klemensowsk_*

Guest_B.T.Klemensowsk_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:16 AM

You know i think you should continue studying what your started. Graphic Design is like an art, you can practice by doing some logo contests and try to develop your skills as a graphic designer at home. Pick up a book or too and on your free time do the graphic design thing. Once your done with your film stuff then you can incorporate what you learn as a graphic designer into film, or vise versa. Then you can take some classes if you think you need it but with graphic design its more like you either have it or not. School teaches you some principals but in reality it is mostly to teach and give you experience with various computer programs such as CS4. In the end it comes down to designing something that looks cool, and you will find that every client likes something completely different. Originality comes from within and it always comes down to pencil on paper.

#7 awhipl

awhipl

• Designer
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:43 AM

The thing is that my school doesn't offer anything remotely related to graphics design and the only program taught in the film department is final cut and after effects. That's the main reason I'm considering and more than likely will be transferring to a new school/program.

#8 Guest_B.T.Klemensowsk_*

Guest_B.T.Klemensowsk_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:51 AM

you got two years in, will the new school accept your credits? If so then get your bachelors for film and practice design at home, get a book, hire a tutor or something. Honestly its very tough for graphic designers that don't have work right now, and i live in NYC. I consider myself lucky to have joined a studio that didn't go down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users