Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

How old were you?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

Poll: How old were you? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

How old were you?

1. 11 or younger (4 votes [13.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

2. 12-14 (13 votes [43.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.33%

3. 15-18 (6 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. 19-25 (2 votes [6.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

5. 25 and older (5 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 03:21 AM

Hey everyone, I was just wondering - how old were you when you started designing?

I was about 12.5 years old - so about 6 years ago. I remember my very first website (don't laugh) it was created by a free website builder at homestead, and it was one page with a picture of pikachu on it. It was nothing special - but after creating it I felt so impressed that I made it, that I fell in love with web design.
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#2 Logistikal

Logistikal

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 03:31 AM

2 Years ago, but not seriously until recently.
Design with standards.

#3 Logistikal

Logistikal

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 03:33 AM

2 Years ago, so I would have been 14. But not seriously until recently, maybe October of 2003. And penguin, don't be embaressed...my first webpage was a "clan" webpage for Return to Castle Wolfenstein made in Geocities pagebuilder, heh.

**EDIT:: Double post, sorry:/
Design with standards.

#4 Qbee

Qbee

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 01:13 PM

I think I was at about 13.. I asked my dad about designing a site and stuff coz he knew how to do it.. and he gave me a very thin book with a lot of information in about html! So I launched good old notepad for the designing... Concerning graphics, I just used the free graphics of cd-roms or the www. So don't ask what the sites looked like :s :D

#5 mbleigh

mbleigh

Platinum Designer

• Designer
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 01:22 PM

I put 12-14, but looking back it may have been earlier...yup (looks it up) it would have been, because my first site was for Duke Nukem 3D which came out in 1996 (I was 10).

#6 davidude

davidude

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 01:35 PM

I started last November, so about 7 months ago...

I guess I've been doing it for a shorter amount of time than most people ;)
Sanctum Studios :: Graphic Design Solutions

#7 Lord_Gandalf

Lord_Gandalf

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 08:10 PM

My first ever site was in 1997, I built one for the N64 game Turok Dinosaur Hunter, it was gr. 7 (I'm 21 now).... aww frames were soo cool!

Sadly but surely it was built using Geocities.

The first site I ever got paid for was 3 years ago, for maintaining a local soccer club and today I make a living online :p

#8 psyris

psyris

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 287 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 01:00 PM

yeah i started very young, i cant really remember when though i always enjoyed drawing and shit, like drawing cartoon characters and stuff, but then i sort of loss track and stopped drawing for an unknown reason, lol, then bout 14 or i think i got my first pc and started designing with some of the most basic shit like the good old klick and create lol, then expanding from, though i do still phase in and out because of study such as the reason why i havernt been to this site for ages and that still i havernt remade my site yet.
www.uiom.com.au
simple and effective design solutions

• Guests

Posted 25 June 2004 - 05:45 PM

I launched my first page about 5-6 years ago. It was a list of people looking for penpals. Looked very lame, but it was a design that sells :) all of the people on the list found people to write to through it :)

P.S. I made a mistake in the voting. For some reason I thought the question was how old I am now...

#10 Imagenesis

Imagenesis

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 391 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 10:31 AM

I started around 2 years ago with notepad,got seriously into ps around 6 months ago, making me 14 now

#11 Derek

Derek

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 09:58 AM

I was 14 when I got into PHP and website creation.

#12 Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 09:19 AM

I started my website hosted on www.20m.com that was almost 4 years ago. I was 27 then. I'll be turning 31 next month. But good thing is i still look like 21, seriously. :D

#13 llama

llama

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 11:13 PM

Wow, looks like I've been designing from the youngest.

I started when I was 8 years old, and my first website was http://www.maxpages.com/cheatsandhints
which used to get about 1000 kids a day, the hit counter reset twice.

#14 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 11:22 PM

Wow, looks like I've been designing from the youngest.

I started when I was 8 years old, and my first website was http://www.maxpages.com/cheatsandhints
which used to get about 1000 kids a day, the hit counter reset twice.

LOL no offense - but that website is horrible (I doubt mine was any better though)

But what is with the size 20 fonts, the giant devil and all the banner ads? I thought I was going to have a seizure with all the flashing!
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#15 llama

llama

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 04:11 AM

That was back in the day--even before I had any knowledge of what HTML was. I was really oblivious as to what it took to make any trace of a decent webpage, let alone website.

But hey, believe me It's not that bad.

#16 Vicki

Vicki

• Designer
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:32 AM

I was really young, around 9 or 10 I think. My first website was horrible, but its fun to look back and see how I sort of improved :D

#17 sallen35

sallen35

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 11:20 PM

You guys all have me beat. But I'm guessing I'm an old-timer compared to most in this forum.
I started designing computer block diagrams for texas instrument engineers manuals back in 1995. I was 24 then and not long after the guys I was working for started developing web pages. Back then the web was pretty limited as to what you could do. I think we made some of the very first websites with graphical interfaces.

I miss the good old days.... :)

#18 em.e

em.e

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 12:21 AM

well. i have been working with html for about 1 and a half years ago.and i started using photoshop. making banners about a year ago. and creating website templates 7 months ago. and flash 1month ago =D

#19 illumina

illumina

Guru

• Designer
  • 2714 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 02:13 PM

I got into photoshop first. Any sites I had before that involved using online editors with no knowledge of HTML. The first site I designed completely (graphics and coding), looked like pink neon tubes on a black background.. it looked as cheap and tacky as a nudie bar on a side street filled with wino's. But it was fun :)

#20 mbleigh

mbleigh

Platinum Designer

• Designer
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 02:35 PM

My design odyssey went something like this...

A few years wandering in the darkness, only Notepad and HTML at my side...and then
a revelation! Photoshop! Bliss and beauty, my journey must surely be complete!
Then, one day, after a previously unsuccessful trial period, I decided "It's time to learn Illustrator" and yay, the choirs of angels did come, and did sing the praise of what is undoubtedly king of graphic design products. Long live Illustrator!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users