photoshop to illustrator

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 kstudiofx

kstudiofx

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:02 PM

I have to let you guys in on a little something I recently learned. I've had illustrator and though it works like photoshop i've been more comfortable with photoshop in doing all my print work until recently when I tried to apply as an elite designer with designcontest. I design my logos with photoshop and know that it's best in illustrator for the clients regardless or how big my file is on photoshop, it just gives the client more room to be able to use the logo however they please and not worry about it being too small for what they need it for... anyways... I knew i had to start designing in illustrator but didn't want to waste all my current logos since they were all in photoshop... but with my google research i found a great tutorial to take my current photoshop logos and turn them vector... thank goodness! Here's the link:

here's the link:

Graphic Design 7: Photoshop to Illustrator marvin eans

in summary it's a tutorial that shows you how to take certain layers of your photoshop document, make it into paths and then export it to illustrator where you can reconstruct your logo without having to restart from scratch. It's helped me so much! enjoy!
  • Coy likes this

#2 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:50 PM

Nice find and should help some others.

I'd like to see any works you've used with this tutorial. like a before and after. when you get around to it.

#3 robyn

robyn

Banned

• Banned
  • 276 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:22 AM

I am also working with Photoshop, when clients asked me for an illustrator file. What will I do is 'save the file in PDF' and the client can open it up in AI... with all layered files. I think it's easy procedure ;)

Good Designs = Profit
:cool: my works

#4 scorpionagency

scorpionagency

• Designer
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:57 PM

The main problem I see with anything that's raster is that even though you can convert it to lines/paths for illustrator, it still retains the flat rasterised traits. This means that if you convert say a 2 or 3 toned raster layer that had a fade effect on it into a vector layer, when you upscale it in illustrator it's still going to lose quality just like a raster does.

Now converting vector to raster layers is easy, especially if you have Adobe Fireworks so that ALL layers are retained & not flattened. However, I think I would be MOST worried about those raster layers losing their quality when they are not solid single colors. I believe the ONLY way to retain future upscale quality on a raster to vector conversion is if each layer is 1 solid color.

Highly detailed rasters are of course going to be worthless once converted. It's those simple lines / paths raster layers that can be salvaged.

Just my 2 cents anyways, But I'm a die hard vector designer & only export as raster when needed. Other than that, all my work is done in vector from square one to finish with no added filters or effects. Especially since a filter / effect is automatically converted to a raster layer on export. Unless you use vector mesh, but that's a different topic all together.

#5 wahiche

wahiche

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:27 PM

Wow, thanks. I needed to find something like this. I mainly work in Photoshop because the truth is that most things I design are for web use. The print that I have created in large scale worked fine with Photoshop. I do realize that illustrator is the tool for vector, but for some reason cannot get a handle on the program.

But thanks :)

#6 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:36 PM

I am also working with Photoshop, when clients asked me for an illustrator file. What will I do is 'save the file in PDF' and the client can open it up in AI... with all layered files. I think it's easy procedure ;)

I might be wrong with this but if you save a pdf from photshop, then open it illustrator, you do not get path but it acts like a raster that is "placed" or sometimes the design is even flat with no layers. Apsd file is the same way, it ends up as "not" a vector, but as placed objects......am I wrong or am I doing something wrong when transfering photoshop file.

I do almost all my clients work in illustrator unless they are specific and know the limitations of rastor. I do painting like illustrations in photoshop at a very large siz and with the no need of path and layers, other than that illustrator is or a vector program is essential for for logo type work

Like us on facebook

#7 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:18 PM

I just did some experimenting with saving layered files as a pdf made in photoshop, it doesn't work. The saved files as pdf open as a flat layer, no paths, it is just like pasting or inserting an object and it remains a raster.

Robyn also the rules also say you have to create your designs for contests as "vector" files. saving files made in photoshop as a pdf doesn't make them vector.

Like us on facebook

#8 guetizo

guetizo

Guru

• Designer
  • 1867 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:55 PM

Sharie,

Robyn also the rules also say you have to create your designs for contests as "vector" files. saving files made in photoshop as a pdf doesn't make them vector.

Great post, nicely said! And it is in fact a rule, all concepts should be done primarily or natively in vector.

Now, what will you do about that?

Paulo
thanks
guetizo origin~all portfolio | guetizo's logo~blog (showing new logos!)

#9 robyn

robyn

Banned

• Banned
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:01 PM

hi, yeah, all design must be in vector so it won't loose the quality whether in small and bigger sizes. We all knew that as a designer.

About the PDf, my client tried it, and he just say it's okay... he's happy with all the layered vector files, opened up in AI from PSD., maybe she used import tools.
Good Designs = Profit

#10 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:05 PM

robyn a desin created in photoshop i not a vector file, savong it to pdf does not make it a vector file unless all your creations in photoshop are done with custom shapes, I know you are not doing that because of all the effects you do to your files. Just becase a client can open a file in pdf and is happy is still not following the rules.

Like us on facebook

#11 robyn

robyn

Banned

• Banned
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:08 PM

Sharie,

Great post, nicely said! And it is in fact a rule, all concepts should be done primarily or natively in vector.

Now, what will you do about that?

Paulo

Do what??
Good Designs = Profit

#12 robyn

robyn

Banned

• Banned
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:11 PM

robyn a desin created in photoshop i not a vector file, savong it to pdf does not make it a vector file unless all your creations in photoshop are done with custom shapes

All my work are vectors, using pen tool, for customization of shapes. And I know the rule.

Edited by robyn, 15 October 2009 - 03:26 PM.

Good Designs = Profit

#13 robyn

robyn

Banned

• Banned
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:25 PM

I know you are not doing that because of all the effects you do to your files

Hi, sharie...i have been using 6 yrs. of Photoshop...effects and gradients doesn't make a logo, rasterized.... unless u saved it as a raster file. It's still a vector, whether in 16x16 pixel size or 2400 x 2400 ++ size. Making a vector logo in Photoshop is best compared with other softwares. And my delivables are all in vector formats.

Edited by robyn, 15 October 2009 - 03:29 PM.

Good Designs = Profit

#14 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:38 PM

Hi, sharie...i have been using 6 yrs. of Photoshop...effects and gradients doesn't make a logo, rasterized.... unless u saved it as a raster file. It's still a vector, whether in 16x16 pixel size or 2400 x 2400 ++ size. Making a vector logo in Photoshop is best compared with other softwares. And my delivables are all in vector formats.

Robyn the filters you are using are raster not vector. even filters in illustrator are raster. Once you apply any filters to your open tool art it will not be vector. Even reading photshop tutorials and help files right in the photoshop program tell you it will be raster

Vector is object(shape) based bound together by anchor points to form a solid object (if those anchor points join/connect). These Anchor Points follow each other in a dot-by-dot or line-by-line formation along a Path

The true benefit of using vector shapes and paths is that it is not limited to resolution, unlike rastor, no matter the scaling direction, it still maintains quality and sharpness.
Vector Shapes can also be reshaped and stylized. However, most filters require that the shape be rastorized before proceeding

Edited by sharie, 15 October 2009 - 03:41 PM.

Like us on facebook

#15 robyn

robyn

Banned

• Banned
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:50 PM

Vector is object(shape) based bound together by anchor points to form a solid object (if those anchor points join/connect). These Anchor Points follow each other in a dot-by-dot or line-by-line formation along a Path

The true benefit of using vector shapes and paths is that it is not limited to resolution, unlike rastor, no matter the scaling direction, it still maintains quality and sharpness.
Vector Shapes can also be reshaped and stylized.

Sharie, I know that of course, grads and effects doesn't make a vector rasterized, unless saved as flat. Anyways, ...what do u suggest?

However, most filters require that the shape be rastorized before proceeding

Never happen to me.

Here's a ref: http://www.computera...otoshop_vectors

Edited by robyn, 15 October 2009 - 04:15 PM.

Good Designs = Profit

#16 guetizo

guetizo

Guru

• Designer
  • 1867 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:21 PM

Do what??

Inform the staff about it and discuss the issue.
thanks
guetizo origin~all portfolio | guetizo's logo~blog (showing new logos!)

#17 robyn

robyn

Banned

• Banned
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:10 AM

Inform the staff about it and discuss the issue.

Uhmm, what issue? about vectors?
I am doing vector designs all my life, otherwise I won't be a professional graphic designer.

The issue here, it's using Photoshop vs Illustrator... if you looked at atop.
Maybe u should say your views, that would help much better, rather eeying your
fellow.

Edited by robyn, 16 October 2009 - 02:25 AM.

Good Designs = Profit

#18 DesignsbyALX

DesignsbyALX

• Designer
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:20 PM

I guess the people at Adobe didn't spend so much time and money on creating multiple programs, if it wasn't for a reason. Both programs offer options that the other one doesn't. I sometimes go down the road of using them both, depends on the job i'm working on. I wouldn't say that vector-designing make you a proffesional, it all comes down to applying the optimal program, for the job at hand. Knowing how to manipulate in PS, combined with knowing how to mask and rasterising images in IL, it should all work out nice, and if you do it the other way arround, it's all fine by me ;) The end-user doesn't know ;)

#19 robyn

robyn

Banned

• Banned
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:27 PM

@DesignsbyALX

hi, i see u have beautiful designs made of 3D, would you able to share us about vectorizing using a 3D software? what program do u used?

Edited by robyn, 16 October 2009 - 01:30 PM.

Good Designs = Profit

#20 BMODesign

BMODesign

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:59 AM

Hmmm...cool stuff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users