photoshop to illustrator

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#21 scorpionagency

scorpionagency

• Designer
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:44 PM

Just for some added references for the debate about Filters being applied to a vector layer becoming embedded / Raster. Please view a few of the references bellow that include source links as to their origin.

Using Photoshop Filters and Effects
There are many Photoshop styles available in these menus, but the difference here is that these styles in the Photoshop Filter menu are used on embedded and rasterized objects, while Effects menu styles can be applied to vector items. These Photoshop Effects will be rasterized when outputted, but give the same flexibility in editing as Illustrator Effects.

Source: Filters and Effects in Adobe Illustrator: Understanding the Difference

Figure 7
The downside to using filters is that they are destructive. When you apply a filter, the operation permanently alters the image and cannot be removed or edited later.

Source: Design Learning Guide for Fireworks: Selecting and editing bitmap images | Adobe Developer Connection

About Effects
The primary difference between a filter and an effect is that a filter permanently modifies an object or layer, but an effect and its properties can be changed or removed at any time.

Source: Adobe Illustrator CS4 * About effects

------------------------------------------------------

As you can see from just a couple references all over the net (Even Adobe themself), They all refer to "Filters" as not being able to be edited again once the file is saved, thus embedding that layer with the filter. The newer Effects & special svg filters are a bit different, while the master files are a bit heavier, they save both the vector data & the embedded data (before & after the effect / svg filter was applied).

The newer software releases are starting to address the filter embed issue that many print shops run into problems with when they need pure lines/paths to follow on their machines (E.G. Vinyl plotter / Die cast / Screen press / Silk press / Embroidery machines / etc..). The newer "Svg Filters" are a great solution to some of those problems.

As long as a filter / effect can be removed after a file is saved, you should be fine, however, if you lose the ability to edit the saved file at a later date & or remove a filter, it might be best to choose another method / solution for your design needs. Mainly for those that like to deal with pure vectors & a variety of print / media machine compatibilities.

PS & Illustrator are both Great programs. Whilst PS does have minimal vector tools / capabilities, it's best to switch & learn Illustrator if you want to become more serious about your vector file deliveries to help insure your clients don't run into any snags down the line.

And vice versa, if you are an illustrator user & want to get more serious about image editing / manipulating / & web templates, then switch & learn PS so you can focus more on your strong points with raster based design.

At the end of the day, It all boils down to the right choice of tool for the project. ;)

Recap: Filters normally can NOT be edited and Effects normally can be edited, However, even an effect is embedded as a raster layer in the output file until you remove the effect & re-render without it so that you can have a Pure vector file for designated lines/paths print machines to read the data on.

Solution: So you don't create more work for your client in the future, provide 2 output files, one with the effects & one without the effects. That way they already have the files they need no matter what type print machine they choose to use for reproduction. Most clients don't know how to use the design software's we use, so making their life easier will inevitably lead to more repeat / referral work for you from them in the future.

Edited by scorpionagency, 05 February 2010 - 06:13 AM.

• Guests

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:33 AM

Ohh and can I create the logo in Adobe Photoshop and than save it as an .eps file.

now it's not how it works. You need to work with vectors in a vector editing software. Read more here.

#23 libbyelliott

libbyelliott

• Designer
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:53 PM

I know this thread goes back a while, but I learned something new not that long ago when we had some people come from our separator and I just thought I'd share...

It has at least been my experience that sometimes we as designers just create our art and ship it off, not even thinking about some of the work that goes on after it leaves our desk and goes to the printer or prepress company.

The most important thing I learned was this...

Say you are designing a flyer in InDesign. You drop a photo on for the background and then you add your logo. If your logo and photo are on the same layer your logo will become rasterized when the file is exported for printing. Sometimes you can't even tell on the print, but sometimes you can see little jagged edges. This is also true for any text that is on the same layer as a photo. The only way around this is to always keep your raster objects and vector objects like type and logos on separate layers.

It's even better if you go one step further and create separate layers for all your effects, like drop shadows or glows.

#24 Ogalde

Ogalde

Banned

• Banned
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:32 PM

Just love working with my Photoshop.

#25 Eagle Hunter

Eagle Hunter

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:45 PM

That was interesting. But that's not usable for more complex designs.
I think it's more easy to work on what we need in illustrator from start.

#26 Mysteron

Mysteron

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

Hmmm,I was looking forward to getting creative and putting my Photoshopping skills into gear but it would seem I'd better learn Illustrator quickly.
That'll teach me to read the rules before designing a great logo.
Right wheres the text tool on this illustrator thing?? lol
Back in six months folks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users