Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Juggling act of a designer - tips/advice?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 redtapegraphics

redtapegraphics

• Designer
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:19 AM

There are a lot of talented people on this board, and everyone comes from different walks of life . . . so I am curious as to how everyone handles the juggling act of a full-time job, freelance work, family, etc….? I often struggle in this area, and find myself becoming burned out by taking on too many responsibilities. I feel like this site is a breath of fresh air that has renewed my inspiration and I welcome any advice you have to share.

As a second part to this question, for those of you who have made the leap to full-time freelance artist and working from home - how did you make the transition? I feel as if I need to continue to build up my client base before seriously considering forgoing the steady paycheck. But this takes me back to the first question, there are only so many hours in a day and I find it difficult to go after more work when I struggle to get enough sleep as it is now.

I look forward to hearing from everyone - it is greatly appreciated!

#2 glyphica

glyphica

• Designer
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:43 AM

Hi redtapegraphics :)

I recently made the leap about a year and a half ago. I have worked as a graphic designer for about 4 different companies since I got out of college and I was really burnt out and disappointed with how I was treated. I had been thinking of making the leap pretty much after I got my first graphic design job and realized how much I hated it! lol That may just be me though... maybe I just have bad luck. For me, I love having the freedom to work when I want and work from home, but it does take a lot of organization, hard work, and determination.

Anyway, I understand how hard it can be to juggle time when you are working, taking care of kids, etc. I don't have children yet, but I do have a husband and am really close with my family so I understand about how it's hard to find time.

My advice to you is just do a little bit each day to work toward your goal of self employment. Even if you do one thing per day, at least you are progressing and not completely stressed and spread thin. I also take short breaks periodically to get up, stretch and do something else to get away for a while so I can come back fresh.

Stephanie :)

#3 redtapegraphics

redtapegraphics

• Designer
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for the response Stephanie.

I completely understand the disappointment and burn out with the jobs after college. Like you, i have been ready to be on my own since graduation. Granted, I have received a lot of great experience through the jobs I have been fortunate enough to have.

Hopefully, one day....I will be fortunate enough like you to make that jump. In the meantime, perhaps I should take a time management course. Ha - but then that is time wasted when I could have been working!

However, I think you are right about striving to do at least one thing a day. I will make that my new goal! :)

#4 williamconklin

williamconklin

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:30 PM

Responsibilities are directly at fault for creative dwindle. Lets face it, when we were kids we were some of the most creative people in the world, now being an adult understanding the concept and function of money, responsibility, economy and so on our brains are so caught up in the pressure and over-seriousness of the industry. If you look at all the tipedy-topedy of leaders in the industry they all have one thing in common...They all have fun!

#5 pecintoha

pecintoha

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:14 PM

Good point....after having my kid I turned from "must have my 8 hours of sleep" into "2 hours is just fine" :D so my day does last longer. I have a regular day job (family business) and my freelance night job that I do after my darling daughter goes to bed. One part of the day in between is for family hangout. Guess what drives me is love for designing so I don't feel stressed out...and family support :D If my husband didn't support me, all of this would have rather bitter taste :)

I don't plan to make my freelance graphic designing into full time job because I have a difficult personality and everything that is a "must" losses my interest and becomes stress generator. I'd like to keep it as my love not a paycheck.

#6 ArtFX

ArtFX

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:15 AM

What works for me is after the wife and kids go to bed at 9pm the rest of the night is mine...well most of the time. My wife understands that when I work late that I am doing it for all of us. 4 hours of sleep for about 3 weeks, then I need a full night...Apparently I get a little grumpy. I was freelance for about 5 years, when my wife became pregnant. I decided it was best to get a design job with good benefits, ie. health insurance. I still make much more doing freelance and I know how people can treat you in a company. The bottom line is that I love art and design. Just put time aside for it and stick to it. Even if it is just for you, selling isn't everything. I started doing it for me. I was 21 when I found out people would pay me.

#7 redtapegraphics

redtapegraphics

• Designer
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:48 PM

I love hearing everyone's take on this....

williamconklin - I agree with you 100%, when I was a kid I could entertain myself for hours on end with a cardboard box, styrofoam, paper, pencils, tape, etc. I think we all need to allow ourselves the the time to think like a child, and dream the impossible. And no matter how much the responsibilities creep into our lives, we should hold fast to the very things that made us fall in love with design and find the fun in every project instead of it becoming just another job....

pecintoha - a supportive family is definitely important. Its great that you seem to have a balanced scheduled worked out, aside from only getting 2 hours of sleep (thank goodness for No-Doz, Vivran and 5-hour energy)! Maintaining the love for design is definitely important and I completely understand wanting to avoid the stress with the things that become a "must" - and I think that is where I get caught up. Why can't I just win the lottery and take on freelance projects as I desire? :D

ArtFX - The benefits and insurance that come with working for an employer are definitely alluring as opposed to being on your own for everything. Even more so, when you have family as you mentioned. Ideally, I would love to find a part-time design job with benefits and have more time at home to work on my own projects. Is it wrong to want the best of both worlds? I now have Hannah Montana stuck in my head! :eek:

#8 williamconklin

williamconklin

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:36 PM

I love hearing everyone's take on this....
williamconklin - I agree with you 100%, when I was a kid...

Thank you for your positive reinforcement, you are a very kind person. I look forward to collaborating with intelligent individuals like yourself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users