Great Article 10 Common Mistakes in Logo Design

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 DixielandDesign

DixielandDesign

• Designer
  • 296 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:52 PM

This is for all the newer designers out there. So you got your Degree or a new copy of Adobe creative suite and you found DC....Your ready to design right???
Well not quite yet besides reading all the rules to follow here at DC. Here is an article that focuses on the 10 common Mistake in Logo design. Great reading..CLICK HERE FOR 10 COMMON MISTAKES OF LOGO DESIGN
  • smyth likes this

Vince

Designers are meant to be loved, not to be understood. — Fabien Barral

#2 stlphotogirl

stlphotogirl

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:11 PM

There were definitely some mistakes on here that I would never have thought about. Thanks for posting the article.

#3 axule

axule

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

this of great help.. thanks....

#4 atondex

atondex

• Designer
  • 247 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:46 PM

Yeah, those are some common sense basic mistakes to watch out for. I think the most common one is the use of too many fonts in a particular design. In logo design, less is more.

#5 stlphotogirl

stlphotogirl

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:35 AM

fonts are tempting but should be used with good judgement

#6 DixielandDesign

DixielandDesign

• Designer
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

Yeah, those are some common sense basic mistakes to watch out for. I think the most common one is the use of too many fonts in a particular design. In logo design, less is more.

You hit that one on the head, So many times I see designers using 2, 3 even 4 fonts in a logo. As much as it is soooooooo wrong, I still have clients that want this done...

Vince

#7 atondex

atondex

• Designer
  • 247 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

That happened to a lot of designers.

But I think that a designer has also a role in explaining what is good design to a client, and why is it good. It's not an easy task, but educating clients in good design will eventually pay out.

#8 node

node

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:32 AM

I have read the above article to finish, especially on the third point I just wanted to give a little note. This is my personal experience, I finally failed in winning the contest (formerly been used as a winner), just because I made a vector-based design and contest holder wanted it while sailing in the PSD layered, it took me a weeks to find a solution so it does not happen again. But I think this forum it will not happen ...

#9 Rsdesigns

Rsdesigns

• Designer
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:37 AM

The common mistake I see on logos is the text is not readable. Look at a logo, notice how simple it is.
Remember you can always contact the client if he wants it more complex. Always present a logo simple and then build off it, for example what I attached. :cool:

#10 DixielandDesign

DixielandDesign

• Designer
  • 296 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:45 AM

yes, its unreadable

Winters, maybe it is just the way your say it but, what is so unreadable about the above logo. I love to learn from other designers but your short response leaves me a bit confused could you expand on it?

Vince

#11 Vaiva

Vaiva

• Designer
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:58 PM

I know all this rules long time ago, but HOW to say this to client? Sometimes they want complex, embossed, logo's with lot's of colors. How to say to client - this will not work?

#12 atondex

atondex

• Designer
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:33 PM

I know all this rules long time ago, but HOW to say this to client? Sometimes they want complex, embossed, logo's with lot's of colors. How to say to client - this will not work?

Well, I would print that logo in black and white and show it to them. I think that would comvince them that a simple logo is a good logo.

#13 bojjka

bojjka

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:54 PM

The clients always understand better in print, you can present the logo in various sizes to prove it doesnt work

#14 like an angel

like an angel

• Designer
  • 1422 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:04 PM

Thanks Vince for sharing the useful article ;)

♥ Selma ♥
DesignContest on Facebook

#15 w0lves

w0lves

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:27 AM

thanks for the great article..

#16 nermin

nermin

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:46 AM

thank u Vince ur very helpful

#17 tipeapablo

tipeapablo

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:10 PM

hehe, nice tips.
i will add a few

- Think where the logo will be use...
Maybe is a internet company only, then you dont have to follow to many rules.
But, if not... BE REALISTIC a logo with a 1000 colors is very expensive for printing!
- Respect sizes
YES! A logo will have a smaller version for all kinds of stuff, if you place white spaces make it a generous one, because if the logo is smaller those spaces between shapes dissapear!

#18 ricosuave413

ricosuave413

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:10 AM

If you guys would like to find one of the design websites populated with amateurs look not further than logomyway.com . I'm a member there as well and your work gets lost amongst the hundreds of crappy entries.

#19 kdermott

kdermott

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:41 PM

thank you very much for this. there were a few things on there that i never considered before. i haven't designed a logo for anyone yet, because i just started school, but these tips are very helpful to keep in mind

#20 melnichele

melnichele

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:28 PM

great article. like every designer, i have fonts and color schemes that i love that i have to remind myself to step out of my "comfort zone" and design for the CLIENT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users