• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 tipeapablo

tipeapablo

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:04 PM

OK, this is very important to all... everybody thinks that a designer is good at drawing.. or needs to be good.
Well.. drawing is a GREAT tool for a designer, it allows him to create something out of nothing with out the needs of third party material (photos and stuff).
I hardly recommend to all starters to take drawing lessons... REALLY
WHY?
well.. drawing is not only use a pen to do something, drawing is the natural understending of space, movement and shape.
Im not saying that someone that doesnt know how to draw doesnt understend space... but! drawing helps a lot! and not only to a illustrator, to every designer must be important!.
Ok, what do you think?
Sorry about my english, im from argentina and my native language is spanish.

#2 roepdesign

roepdesign

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:33 PM

i think you are righ, Before i couldn't draw i always found it diffecould to put a nice view on screen.

#3 VVictoriaaa

VVictoriaaa

• Designer
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:36 PM

If you can draw on paper then drawing on a computer is so much easier. Well for me it is at least.

Posted Image

Especially when it comes to shading. Learning how light and shadows hits the face or anything is really helpful when you try to recreate it on the computer.

#4 sandras

sandras

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:59 PM

It is true what you wrote. The drawing skills that you need to know to formulate ideas.

#5 like an angel

like an angel

• Designer
  • 1422 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

drawing or painting is a gift ..it really can make things easier in computer design..not because u can draw on paper , but because u can visualize things before u do them just like u do on paper.. it's not about the ability of doing it. it's about how creative u are in bringing it to life.
though..
computer drawing would be just fine for ppl who can't really draw or paint on paper .. but they know how to but shapes together right & also how to get their lines smooth & clean.that comes with practice & patience ..but will come out maybe as good or better than a natural talented person.

♥ Selma ♥
DesignContest on Facebook

#6 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

I dont think it is true especially the more computer design work I do the more I neglect on drawing skills. I havent drawn any persons realistic anymore and it was hard to do it again. However for more still life stuff is easy to draw with knowing the techniques but wouldn't say its realistic. I rather prefer people to learn the software to able to know what to use for what and not overly use the filters but there are more tools in the programs people dont touch. I rather that they start scouting the menus and try out everything to know all the detail of what you can do.

#7 imago

imago

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:57 PM

You simply have to have an eye for beauty. You should have creative juices in your brain. You know where to place things. Being a designer is more of an inborn ability. You don't need to know how to draw. For that you can always hire an illustrator.

:)

#8 xpressions

xpressions

• Designer
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

Knowledge is power. If you can draw and understand design, I believe you have an advantage. I saw somewhere work of an engineer turned designer and I am sure some of his tech skills were transfered into his designs...pretty neat work...

#9 scorpionagency

scorpionagency

• Designer
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:17 PM

I also have to agree. I feel that the ability to express ones self with a minimal amount of tools helps stimulate their creativeness. And lets face it, Creativity is truly needed when you are in the design field. While it's convenient to learn a software and have thousands of buttons you can push that do different things, I think it's more important to first be able to have your brain communicate with your hand using just a pencil / pen / chalk / paint brush / or any other basic (primitive) design tool and be able to form your thoughts into pattern / shape / sketch / etc. on your paper (canvas).

The ability to transfer visualization creatively with basic tools and turn it into reality others can now see has got to be one of the most beneficial aspects a designer has.

I also agree that not all designers must have this aspect in order to be successful in their careers, but it can help with the pre-planning and initial draft.

Thoughts and imagination leads to creativity, sometimes it helps to get it all out on paper before we forget. There are many cases we might be sitting at a restaurant & get hit with an idea, the ability to sketch it out allows us to borrow a pen from the waitress and doodle our thoughts on a napkin. The napkin later serves as the assistant to memory when we open up our software's and start to bring it all together. As humans, we tend to sometimes forget things, it just seems so much easier (for me anyways) to be able to sketch it out anywhere I am for later use as a reminder.

Again, to each their own though. Drawing / Sketching isn't for everyone. As long as we all do what works for us and produces the desired end results for our clients, that's all that counts :)

Edited by scorpionagency, 22 July 2010 - 06:22 PM.

#10 exparte

exparte

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:13 PM

I believe there are some things people can do digitally/multimedea that they wouldn't necessarily need to be able to draw well however, drawing and art in general is not a gift you either have or not. Art is learning how to see. Some have more aptitude while others need to work at it. Some art is made by composing, or sliding around, elements in such a way to be pleasing while other art is created entirely from scratch. The later DEFINETLY benefits from being able to "see" then display.

#11 MParts

MParts

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

It is important to know well software you are working with...but come on?!? All those who says that to know software is more important than be able to draw what you think, are...I do not know who they are, but they are closely dependent on what soft can give them. Is this to be a designer? You can't make some shading because in software you got there is not one yet, but when it will be everyone can do the same one...I think this is not the way of creativity. It is better don't know some effects filters given by soft, but be able to draw them. Ok ok, that goes on the cost of time BUT you always be free as an artist an different from these default effects guys.

By the way, I think it is good to paint well for designer too. It helps in composition and choosing colors ;)

#12 braja

braja

Banned

• Banned
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:06 AM

I think it is useful but not crucial.

#13 smyth

smyth

• Designer
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:58 AM

Depends very much on what you understand for "designer". If you do business cards, flyers, wallpapers, photo retouching etc. you don't need at all knowing to draw . Draw is a must when you're envolved in the artistic part of creation, like cartoons, game characters and backgrounds etc. So, improving drawing skills it's great if you fall in the 2nd category of designers, otherwise it's ok if you don't, there are plenty of things to learn and know in the 1st category (of arranging, manipulating,retouching, preparing for print, typography etc.). It's great if you can handle both but unfortunately it's not like in Matrix, where you just insert a floppy disk and wow, you know jujitsu.

#14 zookey

zookey

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:02 PM

I'm pretty good with drawing, but i don't think it's obligatory for designer. i saw few really good designers but bad drawers :).

#15 BonusNinja

BonusNinja

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

I think it really helps.

#16 red_sand

red_sand

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:39 PM

I believe it's important to have drawing skills when you have to deal with people & objects in 2D and especially 3D space.

#17 amir

amir

• Designer
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:38 PM

you are right...drawing with pencil on paper....

... I think the computer is/has been a great and welcomed addition to the design world,
but always be mindful of what you’re communicating and how it’s produced.
You can always transfer those ideas to the computer later!

...Milton Glaser says drawing is thinking. Drawing is looking and noticing.;)

#18 Fer Garvey

Fer Garvey

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:33 PM

I think a designer need to know how to draw.
Maybe just a little...

#19 SolitaryDESIGN

SolitaryDESIGN

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:30 PM

Drawing could be a major asset to design, but does not necessary mean that you would get nowhere. In fact there are some of the most successful graphic designers who atmit that they can not draw at all. Although drawing takes practice and perfection can be achieved by practice.

#20 SolitaryDESIGN

SolitaryDESIGN

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:36 PM

I agree with you, although the part where you say "you either have it or not" is not always true. Ive seen people move from stick men to the most complicated designs, therefore I simply believe anyone can achieve the ability to draw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users