A designer need to know how to draw?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#21 SMILEforDope

SMILEforDope

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:58 PM

I heard people say "You can't be taught how to draw if you are not willing to draw." For me it's something you have to be born with or exposed to as a child growing up. For me growing up, my dad told me that when he used to buy me coloring books, I wouldn't color, instead I'd try to copy and free hand the picture in the coloring book onto a blank piece of paper.

#22 contracept

contracept

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:46 PM

i love milton glaser :)

#23 artbymike

artbymike

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

Whether or not you can make a photo-realistic rendering, or an "impressionist" one, is one thing. Being able to put down in "2D" what your mind is thinking in "3D" is vital. The ideas you put on paper must be visible -- or understood -- to your client. What is important is that you draw well enough to make your ideas clear.

#24 artbymike

artbymike

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:23 PM

Cool! How did your dad feel about that? I hope he was supportive.

I heard people say "You can't be taught how to draw if you are not willing to draw." For me it's something you have to be born with or exposed to as a child growing up. For me growing up, my dad told me that when he used to buy me coloring books, I wouldn't color, instead I'd try to copy and free hand the picture in the coloring book onto a blank piece of paper.

#25 feraldesign2.0

feraldesign2.0

• Designer
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:55 AM

If anyone can just pick up a pencil and draw, does that make what we do as designers fake?

#26 artbymike

artbymike

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:46 AM

I don't know how drawing could trump designing. We create using the gifts we've been given. I can both draw and design, but I must practice each "art". When I design, I only do enough drawing so that I can see what I'm trying to figure out; there is no need for me to precisely draw a particular font, since I'll be setting type on a computer. However, if I was doing a comp for a customer, I would be required to draw that font with a great deal of precision, so the client would know how to make a decision on the design.

Perhaps what you mean by design is the assembly of photographs, fonts, image objects, and so on, into an aesthetically-pleasing whole. If that is what you mean, then you are not drawing with a pencil, but with objects. To me, drawing and designing are one in the same: CREATIVITY!

If anyone can just pick up a pencil and draw, does that make what we do as designers fake?

#27 Drewcifer

Drewcifer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:35 PM

I think drawing and sketching is a big bonus for design.

it's much easier to sketch out a logo design on paper than it is to sketch it out on the computer.

though it is not necessary to be a good drawer, it is very helpful and most great designers are good at drawing.

#28 Freshmintdesign

Freshmintdesign

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:52 AM

The drawing always gives you the notion of proportion and perspective which are fundamental to the achievement of a good logo: learn to draw is learn to see. An adequately perception of light is essential to understand the form.

#29 Trinova

Trinova

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:31 AM

Yes, I Always pencil my idea in my sketch book and then ink it in after I'm satisfied with the pencil drawing. After that I will scan it directly into Corel. I have a Intuos, but I'm not too comfortable using it.

#30 mastercraft

mastercraft

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:29 PM

It's much easier to put your idea(s) on paper before work it out on a computer. just try it, waste some paper, realize your imagination, you can redraw, experiment with the pencil, and than start copying the best drawing on the computer.
drawing is the fastest way to visualize your idea...

#31 theli7s

theli7s

• Designer
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:30 PM

Im thinking about buying a tablet, is it hard transfer from paper to tablet?

#32 Solitaire14

Solitaire14

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:59 PM

If you can draw on paper then drawing on a computer is so much easier. Well for me it is at least.

Posted Image

Especially when it comes to shading. Learning how light and shadows hits the face or anything is really helpful when you try to recreate it on the computer.

Nice drawing, obviously a lot of natural talent

#33 Solitaire14

Solitaire14

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:00 PM

What tablets do you think are best? I just got a Wacom Intuos4 which should be good.

#34 Solitaire14

Solitaire14

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:01 PM

I think knowing how to draw, and being interested in drawing, would really help

#35 r1ck_art

r1ck_art

• Designer
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:00 PM

I think drawing on paper and in computer habits of nearly the same and I do early drawing on paper first. But that's how the habit.
The most important thing for the color settings on the computer a bit more easily.

#36 muzzha

muzzha

Banned

• Banned
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:48 PM

Drawing could be a major asset to design, but does not necessary mean that you would get nowhere. In fact there are some of the most successful graphic designers who atmit that they can not draw at all. Although drawing takes practice and perfection can be achieved by practice.

Drawing "ability" makes asset!
I can tell that for me, much great ideas comes from tiny drawings, blueprints that later become designs of any kind...

#37 ialamri

ialamri

Banned

• Banned
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

ai agree it is not easy to draw you have to be natural and you have to have a creativity it is not somthing you learn. except if you are an artist that needs to know the basic things about drawing. in that case taking clasess would be benificial.

#38 goocha

goocha

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:09 AM

Nope, but is quite better to know how to put your ideas on paper, sense of dimension and reality, and the principal creative coordination

#39 north

north

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:39 PM

I totally agree with you, but I have another little problem I know to draw on paper or canvas does not matter... i know a little bit of adope photo shop but vector graphics... I have a lot of problems with the blend option in Illustrator. i think so that a good designer had to have talent, but also the necessary knowledge with regard to programs for vector graphics.

#40 FISdesign

FISdesign

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:49 PM

Yes the designer need to know how to draw, but this doesn't mean that he need to be born with that kind of talent, if you exercise and put a lot of work on design, art you will be advancing you design and drawing techniques day by day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users