• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 wig1989

wig1989

Banned

• Banned
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:28 PM

Hi all, Im new to the site and would like some info. Im been looking at the diffo competitions on at the moment and would like to enter but am not using normal design programs like illustrator and corel. But using GIMP, a sub to photoshop. Ive been looking at all the info i can for noups and i understand that finished designs need presenting in the .EPS file format. But im creating in GIMP which is. XCF but can convert/ save in . EPS. is that ok if the file is saved as . EPS, but created originally as a .XCF file???

Thanks

#2 DixielandDesign

DixielandDesign

• Designer
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:26 PM

Hi all, Im new to the site and would like some info. Im been looking at the diffo competitions on at the moment and would like to enter but am not using normal design programs like illustrator and corel. But using GIMP, a sub to photoshop. Ive been looking at all the info i can for noups and i understand that finished designs need presenting in the .EPS file format. But im creating in GIMP which is. XCF but can convert/ save in . EPS. is that ok if the file is saved as . EPS, but created originally as a .XCF file???

Thanks

It is to my understanding that Gimp does not support EPS format. It does support SVG (scalable Vector Graphics). I recommend you look into a program that is made primarily for vector.

Vince

Designers are meant to be loved, not to be understood. — Fabien Barral

#3 wig1989

wig1989

Banned

• Banned
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:36 PM

It is to my understanding that Gimp does not support EPS format. It does support SVG (scalable Vector Graphics). I recommend you look into a program that is made primarily for vector.

Hi thanks for the reply, it allows me to save in .EPS, but cannot open files saved as .EPS so you save a copy as .XCF then another . EPS which will open up in photoshop after picking the size you want to open it to. will this work then for clients??

#4 ZukiH

ZukiH

Guru

• Designer
  • 1178 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:56 PM

Hi thanks for the reply, it allows me to save in .EPS, but cannot open files saved as .EPS so you save a copy as .XCF then another . EPS which will open up in photoshop after picking the size you want to open it to. will this work then for clients??

Logos must be created in vector format.You may not include any raster based elements. This means that your logo designs should generally be created in either Illustrator, CorelDraw, Fireworks or Flash. Certain effects create a rasterized image, and these should not be used in your design.

Meaning, you cannot use photoshop or gimp to create your work and participate in DC contests.

#5 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:54 PM

Firstly a logo design needs to be a vector image, I am not that sure about gimps if it really does correct vector outputs.

I advice you too take a look at Aviary.com you can export eps files with their files. Plus they have more pointed toward vector editing app and one for photo editing and not both in one. Cause most that got both in one mainly the vector is not really vector. Same as vectors in Photoshop can't really be exported as good vector designs, the program is for bitmap based and so it be kept bitmap based.

#6 wig1989

wig1989

Banned

• Banned
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

thanks all for the replys will take all on board. shame as i was looking forward to posting my ideas and having your comments back so i can improve more as a designer. will look into Aviary chung dha, thanks. thanks all, will hopefully be involved in contests soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users