• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21770 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:15 PM

The other day I was reminiscing about some funny situations I experienced (and caused) during some of my days working as a distribution manager for a wholesale book and magazine distributor.

A little bit of history, I starting working for this company at the old age of 17 and continued working there for close to 15 yrs. I loved working at this place and had an outstanding work relationship with the owner and other employees.

While reminiscing, a few situations stand out and I just can't help from laughing still today. I had been working at this place for about 2 yrs when our community had this donation thing going on called "Arrest a Heart" How this worked was people would call in have have people arrested and put in jail. The people arrested were required to call upon other people make donations. The dollar amount they had to come up with was called their bail. So the person arrested stayed in jail until they reached their bail amount.

Well I had my boss (the owner of the company) arrested. oh boy oh boy......The police came and arrested him, that didn't go to well because when the police pulled out the handcuffs my boss decided to resist (he still doesn't know this is a charity thing and not real) well....he got stuck with double bail for resiting arrest!

After the arrest my boss was taken to a central booking area, a place in the city park with a make shift jail and given striped clothes to wear (this is a suit and tie guy) He was booked, finger printed and told about the charity and how he would be able to get out of jail. His bail amount ended up being $1200 bucks. He was allowed one phone call before his jail time started, once jail time started he would be allowed to only call people to donate. His 1st call was to me and I was scared (just a tiny bit between laughing) I was told in a very firm matter to go get his brief case and get his sunrise rotary list of members and that he would deal with me later.

he was in jail for about 4 hrs. He was given a healthy heart emblem and a commemorative photo of himself behind bars in the striped clothing. I was hiding when someone announced he was back....He found me and gave me a big hug and said he needed that! My punishment was worrying about being in trouble. Come to find out He raised more money than anyone that day and was given a special award and a special story in the local newspaper. He had an absolute ball and learned to lighten up a tiny bit as well.

Seeing this guy resisting arrest was hilarious and worth every minute worrying about him being angry with me.

Like us on facebook

#2 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21770 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:30 PM

Another story about my boss from the old days....

To begin with he was a geologist but decided to take over his dad;s business. This guy was a very smart guy, jsut a little uptight.

He was having a bit a of a hard week when I decided to give him some candy. This wasn't your normal candy, it was rock candy.

During this week our community was in the midst of the annual apple blossom festival. Our local Ginko club always has a huge show during this time. I had taken a couple days off and took my son to the ginko show. We viewed some wonderful works of art made from rocks and stone. We ended up buying some grab bags full of polished rocks.

I went back to work after a couple days off and took some of those polished rocks to work and set them on my desk. My boss was still in a grouchy mood and just being a pill! I decided to give him some rock candy. i walked into his office and asked him if he wanted some rock candy he said sure so I put a couple of rocks on his desk. I went back to my office and started working. A couple hrs later he came into my office and said to me "That really was a rock" I said "yep I was just testing your geologist side " To this day I have no idea if he found out it was a rock before putting it in his mouth or after.

He laughed and laughed but would never tell me how he found out it was a rock. he did get even with me though....I went on vacation a couple months later, when i came back I kept smelling something real bad coming from my desk. I tore my desk apart and finally found what the smell was....it was 3-4 hops! Hops have a horrid smell (to me any way) He had walked in my office several times with my desk stuff scattered all over the place and me going nuts trying to find that dang smell.

I loved working for this guy and miss him dearly

Like us on facebook

#3 Stev27

Stev27

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 398 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:35 PM

That first story is hilarious! What a shock to be arrested like that. I've heard of that form of raising money for charities locally too and it really seems to work. :)

Thanks for sharing that sharie.

#4 like an angel

like an angel

• Designer
  • 1422 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:53 PM

hahahaha nice one with the rock candy :D . he looks like a fun boss.

one of my working memories was 3 years ago when i was training in a local bank brunch.. i used to work in customer service. one of the regular clients came in my first day & transfered big money . in my very second day & just for kicks he came & said to me with a grumpy face that i've made a mistake in the transaction & transfered an amount of $10,000 to a wrong account.
i was shocked & afraid..almost fainted :S
then the man smiled & said he was just kidding.. bcuz he knew im new X(
i'm still mad at him ..but i've learned my lesson after this one.
some good & not so good memories i had there ..but still fun to remember... :)

♥ Selma ♥
DesignContest on Facebook

#5 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21770 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:29 PM

These type of charities raise a lot of money!

One yr the local high school did a fun money raiser. All proceeds stayed with the school. The way it went was people called in and sent a goat to someone, that person getting the goat had to pay to send the goat to someone else, guess what my boss had to pay a hundred bucks to send the goat to someone else in his rotary club. He never found out who sent the goat

That first story is hilarious! What a shock to be arrested like that. I've heard of that form of raising money for charities locally too and it really seems to work. :)

Thanks for sharing that sharie.

Like us on facebook

#6 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21770 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:39 PM

LoL now that was mean scaring a new person like that!

Yeah that rock candy joke was funny. This guy was fun to work for but we were very professional at the same time

He was an older man, balding but determined to keep what strands of hair he had. He came into my office one day saying he was going out for haircut and be back in about an hr. I looked up at him and asked which hair was he gonna cut?

I know it was kinda mean but it was so funny and he laughed to, he had never been around anyone like me and I took a lot of stress out of his very stressful deadlined filled life

hahahaha nice one with the rock candy :D . he looks like a fun boss.

one of my working memories was 3 years ago when i was training in a local bank brunch.. i used to work in customer service. one of the regular clients came in my first day & transfered big money . in my very second day & just for kicks he came & said to me with a grumpy face that i've made a mistake in the transaction & transfered an amount of $10,000 to a wrong account.
i was shocked & afraid..almost fainted :S
then the man smiled & said he was just kidding.. bcuz he knew im new X(
i'm still mad at him ..but i've learned my lesson after this one.
some good & not so good memories i had there ..but still fun to remember... :)

Like us on facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users