• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 creativerx

creativerx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 02:17 AM

Currently, I'm a part-time freelancer looking to make the transition to full time. I'm just now starting to build my business and grow my customer base. I'd really like some ideas/suggestions for promoting my site, getting freelance jobs, and increasing site traffic. Can anyone tell me what has worked in the past for you or is currently working? I appreciate any help you could give me.

#2 BrianWakeland

BrianWakeland

Banned

• Banned
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:38 PM

I'm in the same situation and I would also love some advice on this! Anyone? :p

#3 QuirkDesign

QuirkDesign

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 04:38 AM

I use Guru.com, ContractedWork.com, and eLance.com. It costs some money up front but it's worth it.

For website promotion there's Google AdWords.

Good luck! :)

• Guests

Posted 04 March 2005 - 09:01 PM

have you already got your website listed in any web design directories and catalogues? It will not tripple your traffic, but you shouldn't miss any opportunity to make your website more visible. Exchange links with fellow designers it will get you extra google page rank. Write articles and tutorials - google will send you visitors willing to learn and who knows, maybe some of them will hire you? Besides, if your articles are quite good bigger websites (like DesignContest.net) may publish them in exchange for the credits. These are some ideas. Good luck!

#5 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:06 PM

I don't know about you, but here there are many non-profit magazines, newspapers, and even a free daily newsletter that go around my city. There are many sections in these little papers for advertising, and I am guessing the price is pretty cheap to get listed.

I have been playing with this idea for a while now, and am not sure if I am ready or not to take out such an ad. It is a suggestion though, and could help you get some local clients.
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#6 rtbenson

rtbenson

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 175 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:28 PM

First of all, you do not want to promote your site, you want to promote your services since that's where the money is at. It doesn’t matter if you get a million hits to your site if you don’t get a single client.

The best promotion is through your existing clients and past clients. Stay in contact with them, and don't be afraid to ask if they know of anyone else who may need a website. This viral marketing technique is what keeps many of the high end web design businesses thriving.

Use cross promotion. For example, go to your local computer repair shop and ask if you can leave coupons for web design at their shop. Computer repair shops are somewhat related to web design, so your promotion will be targeted. In return, offer to recommend your clients to their shop for computer repairs.

Stay away from print ads unless the magazine/newspaper is in your target market. For example, don’t advertise in a web design magazine. Instead advertise in a business to business magazine in which the businesses would benefit from a strong web presence. Untargeted print ads do not generate much, if any, business.

Hope this helps!

Brendan Benson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users