• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 zaidyes

zaidyes

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:09 PM

Hey guys can some body please tell me how difficult it is to work in illustrator if we know photoshop ?? I am very good with photoshop and i learnt it on my own.How ever i find illustrator more confusing can some one please tell me how difficult is it to work in illustrator then to work in photoshop ??

#2 rsjunderground

rsjunderground

• Designer
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:46 PM

Hey guys can some body please tell me how difficult it is to work in illustrator if we know photoshop ?? I am very good with photoshop and i learnt it on my own.How ever i find illustrator more confusing can some one please tell me how difficult is it to work in illustrator then to work in photoshop ??

Hey!I hope u r fine.
ok.
first, photoshop is for bitmap edition and creation, while Illustrator is for vector work. so, thats mean, have diferent aplication. so if you want to design logos, interfaces or another thing that isnt a photo(bitmap) you should learn a few new thing and concepts for work in illustrator.
just try it!
[SIGPIC]http://th08.deviantart.net/fs70/150/f/2010/226/f/b/Rart_logo_blue_by_Rsjunderground.jpg[/SIGPIC]
RART-Ricardo SJ Graphic Designer.
http://rsjunderground.daportfolio.com

#3 Rsdesigns

Rsdesigns

• Designer
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:53 PM

The easy thing to remember is photoshop has a pen tool like illustrator. Except in illustrator you have more control with vectors. Like my favorite tool the pathfinder. Take two shapes and subtract them or add them two to make one shape. Its best to draw in illustrator then, transfer it in photoshop for fine details.

#4 xantov

xantov

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:27 AM

I come from coreldraw when learning AI. It might be easy learned when you major in photoshop.

#5 masterus

masterus

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:24 AM

I don't get Adobe, they're just making the software worse and worse. Why don't they just have the same shortcuts/interface in all of there software :/

#6 CarltonPecot

CarltonPecot

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:55 PM

I don't get Adobe, they're just making the software worse and worse. Why don't they just have the same shortcuts/interface in all of there software :/

Cause than they would only need one program :).

#7 scorpionagency

scorpionagency

• Designer
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:39 PM

As others have pointed out, the primary differences in the 2 software's are that PS is for raster design, Illustrator is for Vector design, And some of the tools are different. However, for the most part, they both have a lot of the same tools listed on the left column for quick selection usage.

The first thing you want to do is forget about web applications and start thinking about print applications when you start using Illustrator. Differentiating the 2 from the start will help you adapt more.

The main tools you'll want to start playing with in illustrator first are:

• Vector Pencil - This tool allows you to freehand sketch like pencil to paper & probably one of the most versatile tools.
  • Vector Pen - This tool allows you to create adjustable points that connect the lines as you go as well as edit points / paths angles.
  • Vector Knife - This tool allows you to slice your vector layers free-handed like you would when carving a pumpkin.
  • Vector Eraser - This tool allows you to erase vector layers / lines / points with ease, just like flipping over a pencil & erasing a spelling mistake on a paper you were writing for school.

Each designer develops a passion for different tools that they use every day. The above are my primary tools that make life easier for me when it comes to vectors. I would suggest that you practice with the above tools first & get used to them before playing with all the other features of illustrator. Once you learn those, you'll have the foundation of vector design understood and it will make it 5x easier to start learning the rest. :)

#8 marlonaire

marlonaire

• Designer
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

it's so simple to learn illustrator when you already know how to use photoshop and it is better if you also knows how to use coreldraw.

#9 brother

brother

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

yes.. I am agree with @marlonaire
before I use photoshop for design but after tried illustrator all more easy.

regards,
brother

#10 duffydesign

duffydesign

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

its not hard at all to work in illustrator, images and text come out really clean, my best suggestion is to go online and find a tort or two that will help show you the tools and how to use them. I have been working with illustrator for a couple years now and still learning what certain things can do differently.

#11 hongxia

hongxia

• Designer
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:50 AM

Hi, zaidyes
I was using Photoshop too, I learned Illustrator by my own. I believe you just need a little time to explore since they have so much in common.

#12 Hadeelsa

Hadeelsa

Banned

• Banned
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

hi, i learned photoshop on my own also and needed to work on illustrator, i was really scared but when i got it and worked on it a bet found it really easy and like photoshop alot, very similar but illustrator became easier for me now, just try to use it and u will find it similar and easy to use just like photoshop :) maybe even easier.
try to watch some youtube tutorials, they helped me alot.

#13 stonny

stonny

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

Hi there,
As some said above, both tools are industry standars. Both have similar tools, but they are intended for different purposes. Photoshop makes its best on pixel tasks and if you're a web designer, it's your best option; For printing, Illustrator, as its power remains on vector management. Finally you can combine both, using Photoshop to polish your Illusrtator art. of course, that's my point of view and hope it helps.
Regards.

#14 uyoxsoul

uyoxsoul

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

Hi,
I think it's not equal to compare photoshop and illutrator, because its a two different graphic software type, Photoshop is for bitmap image, and Illustrator is for vector image. And both is very diferent (you can google it diffenrent about bitmap and vector ;) )

#15 Stripe

Stripe

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

I think that the two programmes compliment each other. The most important starting point is understanding the different uses for the two tools (pixel/vector). Both have their uses.
To begin learning illustrator, download some free 'vector graphics packs', there's tons out there (brandsoftheworld, bittbox or just google 'free vector clipart'). If you open existing artwork, you can pull it apart using the arrow tool and get a feel for how it was created (you might need to 'ungroup' the individual components first). Next you need to learn what the tools do. Look at video tutorials e.g. YouTube or adobe tv. When watching tutorials, pause them frequently, go to illustrator and have a play around yourself. It's easier to remember if you've done it yourself.
Have fun and don't use clip art in your contest submissions.

Edited by Stripe, 25 July 2012 - 11:42 PM.
Typos

#16 karlito31

karlito31

Banned

• Banned
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

Started with photoshop than switched to Illustrator all on my own.
Peace of cake -)

#17 SaraS

SaraS

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

I think it´s easy. You will learn. Illustrator works a lot like Photoshop.

#18 angelfx

angelfx

• Designer
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

adobe illustrator :)

#19 mazyo2x

mazyo2x

• Designer
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:04 AM

They are used in different purpose, Illustrator used to draw in vector while photoshop used to draw in bitmap. I mostly working with vector, so for me Illustrator is easier to use.

#20 FullHeads

FullHeads

• Designer
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

well you just need a starting point and go :)
try similar to this http://vandelaydesig...be-illustrator/ for begining

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users