Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Why do you participate in design contests?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#21 Cleric

Cleric

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 03:15 AM

Have you read anything I have written?
CarbonFour
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.

#22 phpdeveloper

phpdeveloper

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 12:40 PM

Yes, I did. You're afraid that these contests will take jobs from designers - that's the main point of your posts. So what? Who cares? It's competition... Time to stop waiting and start moving.

#23 Nulla nonummy

Nulla nonummy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 02:41 PM

Hello

I have never told anyone "I COULD OF DONE BETTER THAN THAT.. HAHA YOU SUCK".

Judging from the work on the website linked in your signature I can honestly say that you do suck at designing.

Thats the only problem I have with your opinion,you contradicted your self a bit. Seems you did say he sucked and that you could have done better.
Later
Nulla

#24 ParanoiDinHELL

ParanoiDinHELL

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 06:05 PM

he said he sucked at design as you post there, I dont read the part were he says he's better.

#25 Cleric

Cleric

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 06:34 PM

phpdeveloper I don't really believe that anyone here is taking a significant number of jobs away from actual designers, but you are supporting speculative work under the guise of wholesome competition. I would like for you to stop with the whole "its just competition" argument for a min, I have heard it, acknowledged it, addressed it, and frankly am tired of reading it. I want you to address how speculative work is good for any industry.

Nulla nonummy you took that out of context. I went on to say that I thought he had decent Photoshop skills. There is nothing wrong with saying something/someone sucks as long as it’s not in spite. Also as ParanoiDinHELL said I never said I was better. In hind sight it can (especially when taken out of context) be misconstrued as being negative and mean spirited.

This was given to me as a handout by a creative director at a local ad agency. The reason I post it is because of number 2, but I figured since I had it typed up for posting on another forum I might as well post the whole list.

1. Right Hand Meet Left Hand.
Talk to each other. Know what’s going – this means knowing the big picture. Don’t just focus on your little corner of the world… you might miss something amazing in someone else’s corner.

2. Say What You Mean.
Don’t beat round the bush, don’t avoid confrontation if that’s what will solve a problem or mend a relationship. Tell it straight, do it with compassion, and always tell the truth. Try not to wear your heart on your sleeve. Major organs should stay put. Try to keep emotions out of confrontations, they just complicate things. Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to argue without being rude, ugly or belittling.

3. Do What You Say.
If you make a promise – keep it. If you tell someone you can help, help them. If you tell someone you can handle it, you better know what you’re talking about and handle it. If you’re in over your head, don’t hesitate to come up for air and scream HELP! What comes around goes around – you’ll have your shot as a rescuer soon enough.

4. First Things First.
People are the most important thing – always remember that. Deadlines my stress us, details may bury us, lack of time may panic us, but when everything falls away our relationships sustain us. Even the most infuriating humans are more important than your favorite inanimate object, (well, maybe not, but you get the idea).

5. If You Can’t Say Something Nice…
Don’t be a whiner. Don’t be a discourager. If you have a problem with someone, talk to them, don’t run to vent to the first person who will listen. It’s the right thing to do. And chances are, someone is talking about you, talking about someone else. Be part of the solution, not the problem.

6. Don’t Work Alone.
Call it brainstorming, call it collaboration, call it whatever. You can’t be creative in a vacuum – you gotta have friends. Do what it takes to get inspired. Do cartwheels down the halls, yell like Tarzan, wear a cape to work, whatever it takes. Just be creative. If it’s all about coming up with “The Big Idea” people will understand. Remember, this is not an accounting firm.

7. Play Nice Together.
We work hard. We create incredible stuff. We are artists, writers, and idea generators. Remember to play. Remember to say please. Remember the joy of creating. Its why we do what we do. And why we strive to do it well.

8. “Work” Is Such An Unpleasant Word.
How many days has it been since you’ve been hit in the head with a nerf ball? Well, that’s too long. Your attitude shows in your work. Get a better attitude, do better work. Its simply that easy. Remember, we are not normal, so don’t act that way. Have fun, dress fun, be fun, have a fun office, say funny things, drive a funny car (maybe not that last one). Just do what it takes to enjoy your job.

9. There’s No “I” in “TEAM”.
But there are two in your head. Use them. Live in advertising is a 24-hour-a-day job. Everything we see, hear or feel can help us to become better marketers and creatives. Go to museums, watch TV, read magazines, surf the internet, watch a play, go to the movies, etc. Take the world and wrap it snugly around your head. If people look at you funny, just tell them what you do for a living. They’ll understand.

10. Enjoy Life.
You only get one, make the most out of it.
CarbonFour

#26 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 06:41 PM

Cleric the thing I can't understand is why you spend so much time here if you think the premise is bogus. Why not go where your own kind are, and leave us little fish to play in our little pond.
Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste".

#27 Cleric

Cleric

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 06:51 PM

Why do you keep dodging the issue? Can't anyone tell me how spec work is a good thing?

I do spend time on several other forums as well as run one. I don't spend much time here at all, I get an email everytime someone posts in this thread. I don't work on weekends, and the university I attend has been closed for the past 2 days because of thanksgiving holiday; I have had plenty of spare time anyway.

Also you all spammed me and ASKED me to post here.
CarbonFour

#28 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 06:57 PM

Not everyone is a university student with mom and dad footing the bill, some of us are scrambling for work and acknowledgement. If we choose to participate, why does it make you angry?

With your degree when you finish college...I am sure you'll be making more than me. I don't begrudge you, don't rain on my parade either.

Marketing works for those in power it doesn't work for the little people...we are the ones jumping up and down and waving our arms saying "call on me". I don't think you've ever been there.

PS. I never spammed you. I don't resort to those sort of tactics.
Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste".

#29 Cleric

Cleric

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 07:06 PM

I am not a university student with mom and dad footing the bill either. The school I attend is a public university which has one of the lowest tuition rates in the country; I have student loans and financial aid to help pay for it. I work part time to pay the rent, food, car payment, and all of my bills. I don't have it very tough though I must say but I worked hard to get where I am and my job pays well.

When I finish college I will have a solid education. Having a degree in this industry means NOTHING. Everything is about your portfolio. Having a degree might get you in the door somewhere but if you can't design you wont last.

I don't know what you're trying to say with your last paragraph.

You are still dodging my questions though.
CarbonFour

#30 Cleric

Cleric

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 07:10 PM

I didn't mean to imply that you personally spammed me, I ment the board in general.

This is the message I recieved:

I was wondering if you might possibly make a link to a new designers community http://www.DesignContest.com I understand that your website is more popular and ours at this point isn't and that even't a link back to you, it wouln't make it a fair trade. But what I am asking is to support our project. I believe in its very hight potential, I even think that it is the way webdesign projects should be realized, in a way of contests when webmasters pay only when they get the result they are looking for. And at the same time it is good for the designers too because this project offers the fair way to show themselves.

Best regards,
Sergey Epifanov

CarbonFour

#31 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 07:12 PM

Not dodging your question. Nothing can guarrantee a job for you when you finish your education. I know that more than most. I have two degrees, and right now they aren't getting me anywhere.

But I don't hang out on boards where others are trying to progress and rag on them for scrambling for work. If you want to be a hot shot designer instead of wasting all this time posting against this board why not be designing and building your portforlio in a more friendly atmostphere?

#32 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 07:18 PM

I don't know what you're trying to say with your last paragraph.

That just proves my point. You've never been one of the invisible people that don't get noticed. Think back to gramar school. But then you may not even be able to understand that unless you've been there.

You've been "kissed by the faeries", consider yourself lucky.

#33 Cleric

Cleric

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 07:29 PM

1st post: You are dodging my question. I asked how spec work is good in any industry.

I am working on my portfolio at the moment actually and as I said already I do post on several other message boards.

2nd post: I didn't understand your paragraph because it was poorly written. I think I understand what you are trying to say now though.

I do understand being invisable and not being noticed. I am a bit shy in person and often come off as crass. I was rejected from entry to the design program at my university once. It is a constant battle to get noticed for your work, you have to focus on being the best you can. In my opinion that can't be done in an environment like this one.

I have to go now, I have errands to run this afternoon. I look foward to continuing this debate at a later time.
CarbonFour

#34 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 07:39 PM

Sorry my English grammar skills don't measure up to your's . I really think you need to move on. I know I have, because you are just trying to prove your superiority. You are a God! Even though none of us have seen your work. You will be a magnificent god when you finish school. But hey, you aren't someone I would want to know.

If you want to send my post to to your English Teacher and have him/her grade, or translate it for you....be free. This is the web. And from what I've seen of you... you are a putz. Get a life.

#35 phpdeveloper

phpdeveloper

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 10:07 PM

I want you to address how speculative work is good for any industry.

Why should we care about how good the industry will be? Do we get paid for that? No, we don't.

#36 Cleric

Cleric

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 02:57 AM

Phacker I don't hold poor English skills against anyone, I myself have to be very vigilant when I write. I was just explaining why I didn't understand you; don't let it bruise your ego. I am a bit shocked though that you have 2 college degrees and your writing skills are what they are.

I have posted a link to my online portfolio where you can view my work, but here it is again: http://www.carbonfour.com

I am not going to lose any sleep over you not wanting to know me. I have done nothing here but try to have a conversation and all you do is attack me rather than talking about the issues.

phpdeveloper good work dodging the issue again, I am beginning to think you are a joke because you can't answer a simple question.

Even though you refuse to answer my questions I will answer yours:

Why should we care about how good the industry will be?
Someone mentioned in this thread helping your fellow designer, which I think is a good start. I have had a chance to see how this industry (graphic design/marketing) works and yes there is friendly competition but everyone knows everyone else. Not only that but if you keep doing work on spec and at such low prices on top of that clients will eventually come to expect that from the whole industry. It has already started. Granted I don't think this site is having any significant impact on that but it certainly isn't helping. Sure you make 100 bucks today (if you manage to win) but what happens tomorrow when the client offers 50, then 25, then 10 bucks for a logo. How will you support yourselves? Like it or not YOU are the ones being abused in this situation you have created for yourself and I can't seem to understand why. You have told me its just fun that isn’t hurting anyone but there are other ways to have fun.

Do we get paid for that?
Caring? No you don’t get paid for caring, but I thought maybe you had some ethics.

#37 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 03:03 AM

Best wishes Cleric. If you wish to make friends and influence others you should temper your ego with a little humility. You aren't worth my trouble any longer.

#38 Cleric

Cleric

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 03:07 AM

I'm sorry if I have offended you. I think you have misjudged me though; I am a pretty nice guy just trying to have a good natured intellectual debate.
CarbonFour

#39 TheAdept

TheAdept

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 04:38 PM

Well Cleric, it looks like you've got everyone lined up at the door, all waiting to take their turn at bashing you in the head with a verbal baseball bat. :) Pity that no one can find a big enough bat. ;) You seem like a perfectly nice fellow to me. Your arguments and discourse have been concise, well-written, and you speak with intelligence.

I'm not sure that you are going to get a good answer to your question about how sites such as this actually help the design industry. I don't believe that it does. I'm not sure that it's meant to, however. I don't think it was the intention of those who created this site to 'better' the industry, per se. To further attempt to address your question, one might ask if contest sites, currently agreed upon as not providing a means of taking our craft to a higher level, are they actually harming the industry? I would have to respond by saying that this is likely not the case.

While I agree that the conception in general that $100 is the going price for a good design is detrimental, I don't see this site or others like it as having the clout to change the perception of the entire world. There will always be those who require top notch design and have the money to pay for it, but there will also always be those who don't have either the money or the appreciation of what goes into a good design. I think sites like this one provide an excellent venue for a particular niche of people who require some kind of visual representation of who they are or what they do, yet don't have the marketing budget of a large corporation. Sites like this one also offer many a young and/or budding designer the chance to get his/her feet wet in the industry and potentially make a few bucks on top of that. It's a great learning experience seeing both what other designers come up with as a solution to the same guidelines, and also being able to see what the client/contest sponsor ends up choosing as a final design.
-TheAdept-

#40 ParanoiDinHELL

ParanoiDinHELL

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 05:38 PM

well, I couldnt have said it better, I totally agree on you adept

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users