&nsbp;

#1 ddsdds

ddsdds

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 10:23 PM

Hello:

I have recently started web site named www.ecrater.com. The name of the site comes from 'e' + crater ( like moon crater or volcano crater )

My designer company developed several logos for me and I choose one of their logo ideas. The problem is that the current logo is confusing and some users think that my site is eOcrater insted of ecrater.

Here are the other logos:

http://www.dslavov.com/logos.gif
http://www.dslavov.com/logos2.jpg

Could you please leave some feedback regarding the above logos. Which one do you like best?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

#2 jlinds72

jlinds72

Administrator/ Designer

• Designer
  • 1461 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 02:39 PM

I hate to say it, but you're right about your current logo - it doesn't look right, and isn't read well in the current design.

Of the designs that you posted, I have to say that I don't feel that any of them are representative of what the website is about, and none of them really reflect a "shopping" feeling. I think that given that the name of the website itself is not a good indicator of what the website represents, that the logo itself should then do the job.

If the name of the website were "eshopping" or something more straight-forward, then the logo designs that you have might be able to be incorporated, but since the name "ecrater" isn't an indication that the website is for online shopping, the logo designs certainly need some more depth and direction instead of just random shapes that look like they were added as afterthoughts.
Jenn Lindsey - Freelance Graphic Designer
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" - Joseph Chilton Pearce

My website: jennlindsey.com

Please review the new rules for DesignContest.net here

#3 Afrostar

Afrostar

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 11:00 PM

I hate to say it, but you're right about your current logo - it doesn't look right, and isn't read well in the current design.

Of the designs that you posted, I have to say that I don't feel that any of them are representative of what the website is about, and none of them really reflect a "shopping" feeling. I think that given that the name of the website itself is not a good indicator of what the website represents, that the logo itself should then do the job.

If the name of the website were "eshopping" or something more straight-forward, then the logo designs that you have might be able to be incorporated, but since the name "ecrater" isn't an indication that the website is for online shopping, the logo designs certainly need some more depth and direction instead of just random shapes that look like they were added as afterthoughts.

Couldnt have put it better myself.

None of the logo's resemble a crater either if you ask me, which i think should be an element of it considering the title.

So if i were to ignore the problems above, and pick the most appealing logo...for me it is either the top right logo, or the 3rd one down on the right. I think the colours are set wrongly on the 3rd one down right enough.

Hope that helps somehow.

#4 ddsdds

ddsdds

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 02:26 AM

Thank you very much for your help.

#5 derukureetsu

derukureetsu

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 04:43 PM

I have to agree. The logos on their own are good, but the problem is that it doesn't suite what you are selling, nor does it suite the website itself.
However, maybe it would be sort of different if we could actually see the logo on the website.
[Sihen Productions - Graphic Designing that...]

#6 Frontend

Frontend

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 289 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 06:53 PM

try placing the "e" inside the crater and see how it goes... i'd also recommend a few font variations. good luck!

#7 davegk

davegk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 09:09 PM

I agree with what the other posters have said. I also think that some of these logos might be good starting points for your design, but by no means are any of them a final logo. They are too simplistic and generic looking. The graphic elements all look like a couple circles thrown together haphazardly and the font is very bland. Ideally, you want a logo that makes an impression at first glance. The letters in the name also need to be kerned properly to give the text a professional and finished look. The colors are very dull and lifeless - I'd suggest more contrast and bold selection. Try incorporating a graphic element that suggests what the site's purpose is, since the name does not. Maybe try combining a representation of a crater with one of a shopping bag or cart or some other element related to shopping.

-David
+-------------------------------+
David Goldklang
Musician/Graphic Designer
www.davegk.com
+-------------------------------+

#8 websmythe

websmythe

• Designer
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 05:23 AM

Ok, so I know it's maybe too trendy or conventional, but... just drop the 'e' to the bottom of the descender on the 'R's ...sortta like 'eCRATER' ?? Did that make sense?

Ok, so I know it isn't a descender, but from where the 'e' is now they are. :rolleyes:
<burgers> So many choices, so little time! </pizza>

#9 deepixel

deepixel

Banned

• Banned
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:57 AM

I would say that logo2.gif the second one down has the most potential. And with some massaging could be a dynamite logo. I am a big fan of simple logos, especially for the nature of your site. You really dont want to detract and compete with your goods being sold on your site because each will have its own branding that needs to pop off the page (a good example would be cafepress which seems to be similar to your industry). I am not really feeling any of the others on the first sheet. For what it is worth I really like the logo that is currently in place on the website. Very distinct with pop. And it seems to be on opposite spectrums of the literal meaning of your logo and the "crater" idea. Which can work wonders when it comes to branding. Because the concept is so outside what the normal user would expect to see that it brands the image in a sort of reverse way (good example is cingular wireless, their logo and branding is a great success due to it oddness and unlikely shape than what would normally be expected for a communications company...did a case study on them while in Uni).

Sorry for the long spill....lol

#10 SSFelton

SSFelton

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:01 AM

Um I like the first link better - top two on the left hand side. Some of them are confusing so I can see why you have had the feedback that you have been getting which is unfortunate. I do feel that jlinds72 had a valid point when she said it wasn't representative of the site content.

If you post a link can we see it on site?
Visit my site in progress..... coming soon to SSF Design

#11 ddsdds

ddsdds

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 11:24 PM

Thank you to all of you for your help.

I decided to make a completely new logo so that it reflected the idea of the website. You can see the ourcome at: http://www.ecrater.com

Thanks again.

#12 websmythe

websmythe

• Designer
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 02:48 AM

Works for me.
<burgers> So many choices, so little time! </pizza>

#13 SSFelton

SSFelton

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 07:24 AM

Nice and clean and fresh - much improved :)
Visit my site in progress..... coming soon to SSF Design

#14 Caedes

Caedes

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 12:45 PM

The one that i prefer is the latest logo on the the first link, i think that it represents finely the idea of the crater and you cannot think that the name is eOcrater. Finally i think it's the most visual logo...

#15 Nrak

Nrak

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 05:15 AM

Very clean and professional looking website I must say, great job on that. I'm not too sure on the orange color on your logo though, as it isn't seen anywhere else on your site. Maybe you could incorporate that in the horizontal menu above? Like the thick underline for example?

#16 ddsdds

ddsdds

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 11:05 PM

Thank you for your comments.

I should have explained first the idea behind the name ecrater. The name comes from e (stands for e-commerce) and crater. The web site is a place where everybody can sell for free. In other words the crater reflects the diversity of both products and sellers - all products and sellers and in one big crater.

The new logo reflects this idea by the different color pieces it is consisted of. The web site also has different color templates. I post below an example for the red and the orange one.

http://thatbloominte...any.ecrater.com
http://boutiquebella.ecrater.com

That's the reason why there is an orange color in the logo.

#17 Nrak

Nrak

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 02:24 AM

Ahh, cool :).

#18 Cosmico

Cosmico

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:39 AM

hmm..dunno.. I'm not crazy of the logo you got online now cuz it looks too childish compared to rest of the website that is so minimal, modern..
I feel it's like a punch in the eye on such a great website.. I would try to represent the crater either with the "e" inside or, eventually, with a small cart like the one you got next to "view cart" (representing buyers) together with a "price tag" logo or something else that represents the sellers so you give more the idea of what you mean for crater and what is actually the "target" of the website..
I think like that it would work much better also, for example, on business cards and printed material giving immediately the idea of what is it about..

just my .02!

--keep it simple!!--

ø¤º°`°º¤ø
,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°
°`°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°` °`°
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°
,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,
ø¤º°`°º¤ø
º°`°º

#19 Paula23

Paula23

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:11 PM

I like the second image best. I think it serves the site well.When I think of consignment, I think clothes and fashion first.
I also like the red....red being an impulse color, sells the most!

#20 IntuitDesign

IntuitDesign

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 09:20 PM

Hello ddsdds! —
Really liked the site design. Unfortunately, the logo wasn't working for me, even based on what's mentioned here. (I'm sure you did this) but you may want to take a look at some of the photos of the moon. The craters play tricks with light and your eye. Sometimes you can't tell if it's a bubble coming out at you, or a crater. This may be a direction to play with.
The language the logo is currently speaking is Martha Stewart style. If that's what you're going for, then it does work. But the logo is looking more like patchwork, than craters.
The icon of the blue globe, that is extremely close to the Mac icon. You may want to insert a different graphic there.
Composition, typography, and color were excellent!

Keep up the great work!

peace
jc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users