Inkscape vs Illustrator?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#41 unixman84

unixman84

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:20 PM

hey guys , i'm a graphic designer and a gme artist, i used to use inkscape for a long time, first because i like the open source softwares it's free and independant,
and second it's light software it's only 49 MB, after being used to inkscape for a good time, i learned illustrator in the university , and the first thing i thought about, this software is realy dump you feel it's stupid it's doesn't understand what are you trying to do, not like inkscape the user interface is very friendly you can get used on it just in 1 houre, it uses the SVG format , and its support many features, and effects for example the blur and it has many extension and effect filter, i easily use it for my 2D games assets and for my printed design, the problem is even professionals doesn't know it , because they are limited to the academic studies , they teach Illustrator , because employers require adobe softwares to use , ...because another hidden reason maybe Adobe pay money for that, open source have always been forgotten, because it's free and people never think it's professional , because they think it's time sapre projects and just for fun and no one serious about that's if they know it even, yesterday i was talking with an music composer/artist and i mentioned LMMS he said "what?" i said music composing software, he told me he know all the music composing softwares but he is not sure this even exist. i just laught and said that's because it's open source.

- so the problem here is a market and business it's not about features in the softwares because as i used bothe softwares iIlustrator doesn't have any extra features, and slower file size bigger and limited export options, hard to get used to. i mean the UI is not user freindly.

as i experienced using illustrator a little bit of Corel draw and Inkscape, that Inkscape is the best vector drawing software i ever used, just give it a chance.
i started talking there and there about inkscape and showing what i can do with it. and many people a friends just loved it after few executes you feel it's smart.
it just do what you wish even somtimes you do it the wrong way haha.

free as in freedom , let the word be free, use open source softwares ( inkscape, Gimp, Blender, LMMS, Audacity, Libre Office, and for sketching MyPaint, and Synfig for 2D animation) you will never find a better software than this collection)

Exactly. This is so hard for people to get. I understand this even without calling it my main illustration app just yet. I am migrating everything I can to open-source and this app has shined above many others as extraordinary. It has features that Illustrator does not. If you simply you-tube "how to use InkScape" you will see what I mean. The hardest part about it is re-learning what you might already know. That's the killer here folks. It is certainly worth my time and to those who have no learned but want to even more.

• lalelemu likes this

#42 tyovie

tyovie

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:30 AM

both are best.... but for some reason i prefer use illustrator....

• lalelemu likes this

#43 Donkey_Dash

Donkey_Dash

• Client
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:29 AM

I cannot choose which one is better since i used both of them a lot. Different app for different purposes.

• tovic likes this

#44 NancySean

NancySean

• Designer
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:08 AM

Inkscape is very useful tool for designing but one big advantage of illustrator is its format some time client asks for AI file, which is not available on Inkscape. So defiantly Illustrator has a big advantage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users