Illustrator's pen tool

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#21 gezwaters

gezwaters

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

I use the pen tool everytime for drawing, sketching. Has more control than other methods. I sometimes use the pencil tool when drawing round something like a map, just for a change. I've also tried using a tablet, I couldn't get on with it although I imaging it would be useful for drawing something with lots of random lines such as hair.

So the pen tool is worth mastering, can take a bit of time but it will be worth it in the end.

#22 AGT

AGT

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

As in Illustrator can not edit or customize menus, the menu function Object - Phat - Delete Anchor Point works like in Photoshop, which is selecting the item and then use the function for disposal, whether you're going to have to say icon there - pen, but when going to select it, as also eliminates lost the location and continuity of work, so it is best to make a keyboard shortcut.

Menu [EDIT]
<keyboard Shortcuts>
v Tools v Menu Commands
> Object
> Path
> Remove Anchor Point
v Shortcut
press Shift+Ctrl+R
press OK
save

But you have to remember the [Sift]-[Ctrl]-[R] to remove a anchor point and continuing path edition.
I hope this will be helpful

#23 katygriffin

katygriffin

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

Did take a little time to get it down but now I love the pen tool. I use it on almost every logo.

#24 cpgraphicdesign

cpgraphicdesign

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

The pen tool is a must when designing. I don't see how you can do as much without it.

#25 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:12 AM

Couldn't live without the pen tool but it needs a lot of practice.

It needs practice or you need practice lol

#26 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:13 AM

Try using it in PS to cut out instead of masking... then mask to refine edges...

#27 AGT

AGT

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

But, for initial strokes, what do you think about Brush Tool (B) and pencil (N), which at the end of the stroke, optimizes and reduces the number of points and if you want to fill, you can use the Blob Brush tool (sifth- B) generates the closed polygon of course you have to use the key ([) and (]) to decrease or increase the thickness of brush

#28 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:49 AM

Illustrator IS the pen tool. The Pen Tool IS Illustrator. The rest is just decades of new version features.

#29 mediaproduction

mediaproduction

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

Without pen tool illustrator is nothing, because are vector curve and other only pen tool can create.

#30 JibonerJonno

JibonerJonno

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:17 AM

Really a horrible matter for me working with this tool since my art quality in real is really no art and just rubbish. Working hard to manage this tool to talk for me !

Couldn't live without the pen tool but it needs a lot of practice.

#31 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

starts with endless tweaking, ends with crisp drawing:)

Probably the best simple training is to start manually tracing outlines of imported photos.

#32 krisdesign

krisdesign

• Designer
  • 194 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

You can do everything with Pen Tool, the power is how You can convert a path and work with that, how remove and add. But, you can do that in a Corel Too. I always combine Corel and Illustrator. I like the Corel, because have a beautiful colours from differently Illustrator. And Corel is more power with some swirl drawing with pen tool or not, in a Illustrator is too hard to work with that.

#33 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

Without pen tool illustrator is nothing, because are vector curve and other only pen tool can create.

I disagree..

The pen tool and the tablet.. whatever one you have... OR any other device, application, program, anything you have used to create your piece of art ARE ALL TOOLS.. EXTENTIONS OF CREATIVITY.. Just because you use these things dont mean your better or it is better for you.. For some its a plus and some its a minus. THINK OF IT LIKE GARDENING... Rake = Photoshop, Broom = Illustrator.. Ho = Flash.. Pick = 3d Max.. Shovel = Firefox..... Design comes from within the tool you pick will help in creation of your garden

#34 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

I disagree..

The pen tool and the tablet.. whatever one you have... OR any other device, application, program, anything you have used to create your piece of art ARE ALL TOOLS.. EXTENTIONS OF CREATIVITY.. Just because you use these things dont mean your better or it is better for you.. For some its a plus and some its a minus. THINK OF IT LIKE GARDENING... Rake = Photoshop, Broom = Illustrator.. Ho = Flash.. Pick = 3d Max.. Shovel = Firefox..... Design comes from within the tool you pick will help in creation of your garden

I agree that software is just a tool used to express creativity. But I get what m.p. is saying, that you limit what you can do in Illustrator if you don't really use or know how to use the pen tool. It's like your example "Broom = Illustrator", but without the pen tool it's like using a broom with many of the bristles missing.... so sweeping would be harder and less effective :)

#35 Probir Ghosh

Probir Ghosh

Banned

• Designer
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:53 AM

Adobe Illustrator CC
The Pen tool has become notorious as a tough tool for Illustrator users to learn and master.
So over the past couple of versions, Adobe has been offering alternatives to the Pen tool such as the totally rebuilt Pencil tool.
Now the Pen tool itself has been enhanced to show a “Rubber Band” Preview of the results as you are drawing with the Pen.

#36 Holmes124

Holmes124

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

Wouldn't be able to design without it!

#37 jla999

jla999

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for re-posting todorut.