• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Al3x

Al3x

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 200 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:37 PM

What's the major differences between the pen tool in Photoshop and Illustrator please, I'd realy like to know which is the easiest program to use also.

#2 rucker

rucker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:14 PM

There really isn't a 'differenec,' if I'm understanding the question correctly. And it depends on what you're using the program for. Since this is a vector thread, and Photoshop isn't a vector program, I'd say go with Illustrator.

• Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:47 PM

Pen in Photoshop is a vector tool, but in photoshop vector is really a tiny bit of what you can do in Illustrator.

#4 apresico

apresico

Guru

• Designer
  • 1210 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:53 AM

There is no huge difference. As BJ said, its a matter of what you want to use: vector graphics or raster ones. Vector is much more professional since it can be scaled to any size. Illustrator is also very easy to learn.

#5 aurellius

aurellius

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:46 AM

That depends on what you mean by 'professional'. I don't know for certain but I can make some fairly professional looking layouts in photoshop. Truly it's all in the application. My preference for vector though would still go to Photoshop for the ability to manipulate pixel point data. In the end when you export your vector, it's going to be a raster graphic anyway...

• Guests

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:28 AM

that's definitely true - you cannot call vector more professional than bitmap. They are just different and have different applications.

#7 3rdkill

3rdkill

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 03:57 PM

professionaly thinking, I think it depends on what kind of thing you want to achieve or what kind of design you really want t produce. If it is for web, I think you better go with Photoshop and if it is for print then I think Illustrator has a greater edge since it is vector based and the corners and lines will be more crisp...As for the pen tool there's no big difference aside from the fact that photoshop pen tool produced a pixel base lines and Illustrator pen tool prodeuce a vector based lines and curves. Nevertheles it is not right to think that Photoshop is better than Illustrator or the other way around because the function of both softwares serves different purposes and believe me if you combine the power of this 2 design softwares you will see that each one greatly benefit each other...I hope this answers your question...

#8 Al3x

Al3x

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for your stuff guys.

#9 rinaldidesigns

rinaldidesigns

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2258 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:33 PM

There is no difference, in a pen tool....the difference is when you take that photoshop produced logo/artwork and try to scale up, your 'pulling pixels' your image will look terrible, pixelated, blurry...it is very important in logo creation to make it vector, that logo will be/can be used on a business card as well as a billboard and look FANTASTIC;)

#10 mundosanto

mundosanto

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:39 AM

I see both PS and AI like hammer and nail, they complement each other, there is no way to compares this softwares because they works with differents areas and elements.

Of course working with vectors seems to be more easy, but AI can be as hard or as easy as PS (it depends of the point of view). I've seen people editing text in photoshop because they think is easier (amazing but is true).

So its depend on what kind of work are you headed. If your tendencies are graphic design maybe you will work more with AI, but you are more headed to Illustration maybe you prefer PS or Painter. But let me tell you, with a deep knowlegde of AI you can create amazing illustrations.

#11 halpinc

halpinc

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 01:38 AM

pen in illistrator > pen in photoshop
much easier

#12 Alin Poney

Alin Poney

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 03:30 AM

The main difference is that you use the pen in photoshop to trace coutour of a selection.
And you use the pen in illustrator to create the line of your design.

Illustrator is the best for illustrations and photoshop is the best photo works touchup and creations

visit my website to see good exemples
of what you can do with illustrator.

Alain Poney
http://pages.videotron.com/aponey

http://pages.videotron.com/aponey/

#13 apresico

apresico

Guru

• Designer
  • 1210 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:13 PM

Nice illustration portfolio Alin! What I meant by illustrator being more professional is because its better for designs to be vector as they are resizeable, I generally use it for web design and make the effects and slices in photoshop unless the site is effect heavy. Photoshop is professional too of course, I use it all the time for photo editing and backgrounds but if you can use the pen tool in illustrator it's generally easier to work in illustrator especially with picky clients wanting something say 20px wider. As 3rdKill said, it depends on what you are doing. illustrator and photoshop are really no good for multiple page designs like a catalouge, novel, etc. For designs like this you would want either Adobe InDesign or QuarkXPress. You could also use Adobe PageMaker, but I find that InDesign is much nicer and is much like Illustrator except it is multi-paged and you can setup master pages so that certain elements will be on all pages. QuarkXPress is moreso for the printer, but its an awesome multi-page layout program.

#14 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:49 AM

Nice portofolio Alin. But some of the illustrations i don't know if you made them or you actually use smart/live tracing to make them. Cause smart tracing give the same look and is much faster to make cause you just have to push one button.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users