&nsbp;

#1 k002

k002

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:29 PM

Well, i use freehand in school...
But in home i use illustrator, well my question is which one u use and which one u prefer.
Personally, i prefer illustrator because it is easier to co-use it with photoshop because they are bot of adobe.
Freehand next version will be adobe now to, because adobe bought macromedia as far as i know.
So here stays the question, which one u prefer? Illustrator or Freehand?
Simplicity is indeed often the sign of truth and a criterion of beauty - http://k002.deviantart.com

#2 Nicholas

Nicholas

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:09 AM

I think there was a post on this allready - but I'm new to illustrator and I prefer it because I've been using photoshop for over 8 years and its natural to me - I can actually relate alot better with Illustrator because of this fact.

So Illustrator for me! - Everyone has their own way of doing things so you're choice between the two will have to be based on how you like the interface / controls / and all of that jazz :D

Nikoli

#3 k002

k002

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:31 PM

Yes, when i created this topic i was thinking if there was a topic already about this theme.
Well, to use photoshop for 8 years is a lot, i am 15 and i play with it for 1,5 years. and recently, like 3 months ago i started to deal with it.
Now, a month ago i went back to school and use it there,that's exactly wht i think, it's easier to work with 2 programs if they have the same effects, controls, etc.
Thank u for ur response :)
Simplicity is indeed often the sign of truth and a criterion of beauty - http://k002.deviantart.com

#4 man2812

man2812

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:05 AM

Actually it depends on how u use it and where ur goin to used it for instance ur having magazine of course its better on freehand but if its just a vector type for printing like banners or other poster i prefer to used illustrator and for images used photoshop it's excellent. thanks

#5 glyphica

glyphica

• Designer
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:25 PM

I personally use Illustrator. I was taught Freehand in college, but soon after businesses began switching to the whole creative suite. I find they all work very well together. I use CS2 right now. We upgraded to CS3 at my job and it's having alot of little technical issues... so we continue to use CS2 until the bugs are all worked out ;) hopefully soon!!

#6 man2812

man2812

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:02 PM

hi there!
ur right cs3 has a lot of problem thats y i used cs2.
anyway which field r u in-line to? is it for magazine or some kind of printing company like banners and poster.
I'm from philippines but I'm workin now in middle east(bahrain).
would u mind if I ask u to be friends?
maybe we can talk more regarding designing, hope so...
[email protected] we can chat on YahooMessenger if u hve time.
tnx a lot...
looking forward...

#7 njsweetheart88

njsweetheart88

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:38 AM

i agree with man2812... photoshop is amazing with editing and manipulating pictures, while illustrator is great with tracing and type. i just wish there was a better way to combine the 2, for example, when bringing an image from one program to the other it gets distorted because of the pixels and vectors. adobe should find a solution to this problem, it would make designing a lot easier.

#8 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:11 PM

There are no problems in converting one to the other. When you save file in both save them as eps. And in Illustrator place it in a new document and then press the button extend.

Photoshop when you open the file it ask you a few things like which size and if it is a smart object or rasterized. Smart object sometimes looks odd in color but when you rasterize it it looks normal again.

I like the pentool more in Illustrator. But it really depend on what you are using it for. Logo and illustration are best to use Illustrator. Photo editing for photoshop.

In CS3 Imageready is missing and it really is a big miss. Imageready is great for exporting a website layout. And also exporting animated gif or swf.

#9 fairyhand

fairyhand

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:03 PM

I tried switching to Illustrator a couple of months back but somehow the process slowed me down. I think I will stick with Freehand until it is completely obsolete.

But I do love AI with all the brushes.

#10 serafima

serafima

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:23 PM

I tried to use Freehand. Neap. I like Illustrator MUCH more. But my husband prefers XaraX. We're all special :-)

#11 bluecherrygfx

bluecherrygfx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:42 PM

I have only played around w/ Freehand, XaraX, and Photoshop.

I use Illustrator exclusively now, but will be getting PS when I upgrade to CS3 (using CS now).

#12 yellow_bagpack

yellow_bagpack

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:52 PM

i wish colouring system in illustrator is like photoshop... no need to click "ok" for viewing colour update when you changes colour of shape and else.... it will be much helpful.. oh by the way i'm using cs2

#13 emos

emos

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:54 PM

cs 2 :D didn't try yet cs 3 because of the doubt with the bugs ... an it seems i did the right thing ..... and illustrator, or if you don't like it there is Corel Draw, similar to the Illustrator

#14 Atronic

Atronic

• Designer
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:25 PM

I haven't tried out Freehand but I'm pretty attached to Illustrator for the time being.
Honey, I got rhythm that I haven't used yet.

MU Creative

#15 zooley

zooley

• Designer
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:30 PM

Freehand was bought by Adobe, so it is already obsolete. Beside this Illustrator has many more features. Corel is for beginners (X3 still very buggy, X4 was promised to appear in November 2007, but i think it won't be any X4).

#16 larsson

larsson

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:14 AM

I've never used Freehand, but I did try out CorelDRAW and found it to be a nice product. However, I am very fond of Illustrator. It's very strange going from Illustrator to Photoshop and vice versa, especially if you have been using Illustrator primarily for a few days. I get to the point where if I have been using Illustrator for a while and then return to Photoshop to do something, I click on objects in layers expecting them to be automatically selected, as in Illustrator.

#17 staniel

staniel

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:42 PM

Illustrator by far is my favorite design tool. I think I may name my first kid Vector!

#18 prijikn

prijikn

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:22 AM

photoshop is used for photomanipulation . illustrator is more used for image creation. Illustrator makes great cartoon like images and is great for text manipulation.

#19 vivid

vivid

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:27 AM

My favorites are photoshop(my first love :D ) and inkscape, Illustrator is powerfull software but it's less handy for me.

#20 BullzEye

BullzEye

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:20 AM

I use photoshop for just about everything..but being on this site has lended some insight on what software is best for what type of designing you're doing. I wanna get into everything from Logo/Corporate Branding to Photo Manipulation/Print Design.

Illustrator I downloaded th trial to give it a try, and I'm confused as hell with it. I've never done the vector way of designing..and even in Photoshop I never got the hang of the pen tool, it confused me, and I've been using photoshop since Photoshop 7.

I had Corel 7 in highschool in my Computer Graphics/Animation Class, it's definitely for the novice in us..a lot more simpler.. photoshop I'm pretty good at..but illustrator..way lost!..lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
www.myspace.com/jaredbolin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users