• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#21 simplistik

simplistik

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 11:05 PM

Cause it wasn't in the agreement, and they wanted it b4 I came off of vacation.

www.beyondthepixel.com - a multimedia affair
··························································
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
-Leonardo da Vinci

#22 DDD

DDD

Banned

• Banned
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 11:14 PM

Okay for one let me say the deal with techstreet came about like Simplistik said. He was going to be gone and that is my thing animation. Not simple flash tweens but real cell animation. So what simplistiks says is true. He recommended me. And I much appreciate it. There should be more of that.

As far as his work. I can vouch that it is off the hook. I really think he has the skill and eye for design. I have also come to honor his opinions also. Instead of back -biting why dont you take some time to analyze his style maybe open up a web dialogue with him b4 you bash him.

I have stated the same thing he did. that this is more about building a portflio than it is the money. Yu should be happy for that. Like myself and Simplistik we are all ready employed as graphic artists so if you are not employed already as an artist and would like to I would think that you would take some of his advice as he is where you are trying to get to. Not putting anyone down but that is the truth. And what most studios want to see is a portfolio, so take this opportunity and build one and possible win some cash along the way.
Corporate Identity/Branding
Multimedia Design/Development
Web/Application Development
2d/3d Animation/Development

We Do It. www.implod.com

#23 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 11:19 PM

As employed professional artists why wasn't your work done on time. And it had to be posted on a "Rentacoder". So don't preach to to the masses if your sermon doesn't pass the truth test.

Maybe you were busy with the Xboxes you got for Xmas.
Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste".

#24 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 11:26 PM

Good God phacker.. you are sounding as sad as your avatar looks. This could have been solved through PM messages, but instead you had to make it go public.

IMO, I don't think that Simplistik's business is any of your concern. You should ignore it and move on. Worry about yourself.

Now, I want to quote my original post in which I said:

Lets not turn this topic into a fight everyone, lets make it a discussion of designers

Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#25 DDD

DDD

Banned

• Banned
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 11:33 PM

Hold On....relax my man...You should not speak on things you know nothing of. They posted there I guess to see if they can get a better price. Has nothing to do with a missed deliverable. "Remember it is always better to keep your mouth closed and let people assume you are an ASS. Then to open your mouth and let them know you are".

We Do It. www.implod.com

#26 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 11:43 PM

So if someone bids 10.00 on the animation, you are out DDD? This is what this thread was meant to address. You may be working on an animation but if someone, somewhere offers a sample and a bid for 10.00 for the same thing. You're out of the running. How would that make you feel?
Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste".

#27 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 11:45 PM

By the way I could have animated that thing in about four hours. But I felt since I knew the original artist I wouldn't bid on it. I felt he should have first go. But hey, everyone is writing me off as sour grapes. I've taken my knocks this last month...I am a little bitter.

#28 DDD

DDD

Banned

• Banned
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 03:31 AM

huh? I am not sure I follow you? When you say you can animate it in 4hrs and 10 bucks are you talking flash tweens? My animation and idea of animation is a bit diff. If someone can bid 10.00 to animate then I was never the one for the job in the first place. I do traditional cell animation (broadcast qual). There is a diff. I am definatly not sour as I do not necessarily need the money although I would have loved the exposure. I just look at it like I was not the guy for the job.

But I have not written you off, just sometimes things are said that should not. No harm done. No hard feelings.

We Do It. www.implod.com

#29 Xerxes

Xerxes

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 07:48 AM

I don't mean to offend anyone.. this is just my honest opinion..

All in all.. Cleric is right. Designers are being shorted majorly. These $50 logos go for $300 a pop or more at professional firms.

These $150 websites start out at $3000. So yeah, we are being shorted. It really isn't fair, but I am participating in these contests because.. well, I like money.. and it is fun. However, I do believe something needs to be done about the prices proposed at these sites. Not just this one. Obviously, shutting down these sites will get us nowhere. The money will just go to big professional firms mostly. I am not sure if these options have been mentioned because I haven't had the time to read all of the posts in Clerics thread and this one, but here are my solutions:

1. Designers need to stop participating in low price contests. I am guilty of this as well as everyone else. This will most likely not happen, but it is probably the best solution. If the contest holders have no takers at the price they are giving, they will be forced to raise the price.

2. have a higher minimum price for the forums. instead of $50 logos, have $100 logos. Instead of $50 websites, have $300 websites, etc.. Maybe, at first I understand the low prices are to attract contest holders, but maybe as we go, the prices can be raised.

Either way, there is not a whole lot we can do about this whole situation unless all the good designers in the world got together and concluded that they would stop shorting thierselves. There will always be a good designer that will work for cheaper.. simply because some people find this fun. I hope something can be done about the prices, but most likely.. it will not happen... especially with the bigger sites like elance, etc..
Patrick Johnson
Portfolio
Company

#30 JTWedding

JTWedding

Banned

• Banned
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 08:06 AM

For such low prices they can get a template if they can't afford a real designer. You want a custom logo(not to mention your pick from some good designers), then you should have to pay for it.

#31 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 03:17 PM

Well here is my 2cents... finding those customers that pay $300 for a logo is pretty hard. If it wasn't, most of us wouldn't enter low $$ contests.

I have a thread about minimum contest prizes... but it only got 5 responses...

Link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users