Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

What CMS have you skinned?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

• Guests

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:36 PM

I was just wondering if there were guys who do skins among us? If you have any experience in creating skins/templates for CMS, would you share with us the experience? What CMS was it? How was it different from creating a design for simple html page?

#2 thu9l1f3

thu9l1f3

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:58 PM

I create templates for phpBB, it's alot easier then creating one in photoshop because that would take alot extra time when u do all the coding urself. Soon I will have a portofolio online with all my work :)

#3 nevadabadgirl

nevadabadgirl

Guru

• Designer
  • 4217 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:45 PM

I have skinned Joomla, OSCommerce, ZenCart, Drupal, Vbulletin and Aardvark Topsites....and am working on learning to do more of them :)
You MUST be an Elite Designer to enter the contests. Please go to www.designcontest.net and follow the link that says "Love to Design" to get more information and the requirements for joining. There are NO EXCEPTIONS.

#4 feros

feros

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:56 PM

phpBB, vBulletin, IPB, XMB, Drupal, PostNuke, PHPNuke, oSCommerce, Wordpress, and TypoScript.

It's no harder than creating an HTML page - you just have to figure out which template files to edit. Now I don't have time to skin though; there's plenty of 15 year olds willing to skin CMS now for way less than I charge, so I outsource ;)

#5 takethetrain

takethetrain

• Designer
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:25 PM

I'm in the process of skinning my not-quite-up-yet Wordpress. The only other thing I've skinned is a phpBB, and I was a bit of a noob when I did it so there are all sorts of bugs. But when I'm done with this new one, I'll be posting it here for reviews! :)

#6 colordesign

colordesign

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 01:47 AM

Just wordpress

#7 Al3x

Al3x

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 01:41 PM

Only thing that I've ever skinned is Aardvark and even that was a toughy. I find it hard to code so I mainly design and get someone else to code my things, yes I'm too lazy to learn but if you want bog standard tables then I'm your man.

#8 linox

linox

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:11 PM

Mambo, Joomla, OsCommerce, Limbo, X-Cart, phpBB...
I defenitely would share my experience. :)
www.prepressing.com

#9 PDL

PDL

Banned

• Banned
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:53 PM

vBulletin, DotNetNuke, PHP-nuke, Post-nuke, Joomla, PhpBB, and Wordpress. Most likely forgot some minor ones, but those are the ones i've done more than once :)

My favorites at the moment is Joomla and Wordpress - best open source systems out there imho!

#10 rasterbox

rasterbox

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:52 AM

vBulletin, phpBB, myspace (totally redesign the user profile page). right now am using vbulletin for the forum am maintaining.

Cheers
[URL="http://www.chrissofe.com" style="border:0;"]chris sofe photography[/URL]
[URL="http://www.rasterbox.com" style="border:0;"]rasterbox media[/URL]
[URL="http://www.3dpinoy.com" style="border:0;"]3DPinoy.Com || The Online Community for Filipino CG Artists[/URL]

#11 tec

tec

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:39 PM

just wordpress so far

#12 GoldenZ

GoldenZ

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:15 PM

wordpress, phpbb2, vBulletin (were taking a course in VB at a online tutorial and they stop on the middle of the course Dam! lol)

#13 Xdreamer

Xdreamer

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:12 PM

Depending on what you mean with skinning :) I skin and code mostly wordpress since I know the system pretty good :)

Other than that:

- e107 (Design/Code)
- OScomm (Design)
- zen-cart (Design/Code)
- vbulletin (Design)
- phpBB (Design)

Non CMS related:

- Xfire (Designing skins)

#14 krissoleil

krissoleil

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:09 PM

Wow - I would love to see everyone's portfolios!

I've only just recently learned about Joomla. I have several websites that could use a CMS but I just don't know how to do it (nor do I have time to learn). But I'd love to see what you all have done!

#15 TommyGun96

TommyGun96

• Designer
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:14 PM

vBulletin reskinning only... for the time being. :D
"It´s better to die for something ... than to live for nothing!" :cool:

#16 Qwert Man

Qwert Man

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:14 PM

I've tried to skin e107 before. Not easy. I ended up throwing together my own CMS in less time. Too bad, since I like e107 so much. Anybody know anything about Drupal? I've heard good things about that.

#17 tomas.brolen

tomas.brolen

• Designer
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:26 AM

Since this is one of those threads that just wont die I might as well throw in my opinion/experience.

If you have to "skin" a cms it's not a good cms in one sense. It might have tons of features and generates valid code but if you have to have a 4 year technical dregree to put out a simple webpage that really doesn't do THAT special things, somethings awfully wrong.

In a good cms you should basically just have to cut and paste in your (x)html and css-code. Add a few lines of php code here and there to fetch content from the database and thats it. Why complicate things when you don't have to?

I know this might sound a bit harsh or arrogant but that's not the intention. I myself just hate to complicate things when not needed, that's just plain stupid if the end result doesn't get better or if it doesn't make things easier.

Sometimes it's needed to use a certain cms. If the client are already using one or if you are setting up a forum, webshop or whatever and need certain features and don't have the time or the money to develop one from scratch. One other valid reason is if you don't have the skills needed to do what you want, then a cms like wordpress might just do well. What I meant was that in 95% of the times it's not necessary to complicate things by using too complicated software.

But back to the question, what cms have you skinned?
Several including wordpress, blogger, joomla, mambo, php-nuke, phpBB, PunBB and Drupal which i just tested for personal use.
However I never really felt comfortable with any of them and everytime I gave them up and did my own thing. Nowadays I mainly just use ExpressionEngine for all my clients and projects. It hasn't failed me or the ones using it yet.

Just my 2c...

#18 aggeloscy

aggeloscy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:08 PM

Ive made skins/templates for wordpress, phpbb3 and phpbb2.

I have tried to make Joomla and VBulettin skins but its a bit harder than WP and phpbb2/3.

#19 Neal

Neal

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:07 PM

Vbulliten, Invision Powerboards & Squarespace. Played with Joomla, nothing I'm proud of yet.

#20 jones8

jones8

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

I've done many, but now I stick to mostly wordpress. For one, the demand is there, but also because the seo plugins are fantastic.
Suede Bed at regencyshop | micro suede comforter set Clearance Sale!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users