Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Adobe Goes All-Subscription (no more creative suite)

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:32 AM

Link
From the article:

Most Max attendees probably expected Adobe to reveal Creative Suite 7 today. Instead, the Creative Suite name is actually going away in favor of Creative Cloud, which won’t have traditional version numbers anymore. For Adobe, of course, this also means the company is now making the move to a new business model, where the focus will be squarely on subscriptions and not on selling boxed software, licenses and upgrades anymore...
The company has no plans to release any new versions of Creative Suite going forward, but Adobe will ensure that every CS6 application will run on the next version of OS X and Windows. It will also provide the usual bug fixes and security patches, but it won’t add any new features to the tools.

I don't use creative cloud because the subscription is too expensive. So I don't like this news

#2 Squewheet

Squewheet

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 328 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:59 AM

I liked the new features that I seen from the keynote but I don't know if I will join the cc just quite yet. That price is to high for me since I don't make enough money yet to pay for it. But I will tell you those features really got me thinking about upgrading.

#3 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:26 AM

I wonder what this means for people still using legacy programs and what about some of the others like cs4

Like us on facebook

#4 Squewheet

Squewheet

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 328 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

They said that they will do minor bug fixes and such for CS6. But CS6 won't get any new features. If you want the new features you will have to upgrade to the Creative Cloud.

#5 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

not sure why this thread was closed but it is open now

Like us on facebook

#6 Squewheet

Squewheet

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 328 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

Here is a video of the some new features for Illustrator CC - This is a reason I thought about upgrading.

http://youtu.be/NaUC6_j2dLc

#7 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

Love the new text tool!!

The website feature is very cool as well.

I wonder why they decided to go this cc way instead of the boxed programs, maybe sales were down for the program

Like us on facebook

#8 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

Here is a video of the some new features for Illustrator CC - This is a reason I thought about upgrading.

From what I've read, the problem is that adobe cc and all those new features will be useless as soon as you discontinue paying for the subscription, meaning you won't be able to access your files afterwards. Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign... all the software you will not own yourself. You will have to literally pay every month forever just so you can open your files.

#9 Squewheet

Squewheet

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 328 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

From what I've read, the problem is that adobe cc and all those new features will be useless as soon as you discontinue paying for the subscription, meaning you won't be able to access your files afterwards. Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign... all the software you will not own yourself. You will have to literally pay every month forever just so you can open your files.

I think it's if you save your stuff on the cloud service the are offering. But if you save your stuff on your own external hardrive then you will be able to access it. And if you don't pay your monthly fee then you can't use the software but you can still edit the files in earlyer versions of illustrator or what ever program you used.

#10 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

I think it's if you save your stuff on the cloud service the are offering. But if you save your stuff on your own external hardrive then you will be able to access it. And if you don't pay your monthly fee then you can't use the software but you can still edit the files in earlyer versions of illustrator or what ever program you used.

I was referring to the video you posted showing the new features. Those features aren't available in earlier versions, so no it wouldn't be editable if a file you created was using a new feature. That's why when you try to save a file under a legacy version, you get a pop-up explaining that some editing features will be disabled.

So when you said before that you are thinking about upgrading because of the new features, just keep in mind that you will always need to pay for the subscription in order to keep using those files

#11 Squewheet

Squewheet

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 328 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

Yeah true. I might just have to stay with my trusty cs6

#12 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

Yeah true. I might just have to stay with my trusty cs6

Same here. Judging by the reaction, a lot of people will be doing the same

#13 ccboy

ccboy

• Designer
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:53 AM

Me too.

#14 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:29 AM

A lot of people know tutvid.com and have probably seen tutorials from that site at some time. The creator behind the tutorials discusses why Adobe's CC business model is not very good, if anyone has a couple spare minutes to watch:

http://youtu.be/ej8PHrS4XIQ

#15 jmaya

jmaya

• Designer
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:08 PM

There goes my dream of upgrading right out the window

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users