#1 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:49 AM

Post menstr...............:rolleyes: :p nah

Pantone matchig system

Do you actually go thru the whole list to find the correct color to use?

Or do you use the color picker in RGB and at the end convert the colors to CYMK?

Cause i don't like the list, some color order aren't correct and even the colors it self aren't the one i want. I once wanted a good dark blue but every time i printed it it was purple while on my screen it was dark blue. Then went looking at the CYMK setting of the color i saw it had a bit of Magenta in it. So had to make total new color in the tab. :(

#2 rinaldidesigns

rinaldidesigns

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2258 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:36 PM

pantone, I may initially work in cmyk, but later will match up colors in pantone, it gives the designer color control.....but it is important to have the pantone swatches as well, this way you can see the exact color as it prints (on specified stock).....what you see on screen IS NOT what you get printed;)

#3 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:41 PM

But the real swatches are soooooooooooooooooooo expensive.

#4 rinaldidesigns

rinaldidesigns

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2258 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:11 PM

ebay(I just looked, 2007 guides, 2 books, coated uncoated...67.50....great deal)

#5 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:14 PM

I don't trust overseas 2nd hand stuff. If I buy 2nd hand stuff, i like to see the product and pick it up my self. Or if it is sold thru a forum and can relocate the person and also read he had sold more stuff and is good. I don't trust ebay that much.

I found a pantone top 100 swatch for 25 euro. But 100 colors isn't allot, but its the most used and asked by designers colors.

I see there are allot of variations of colors but i am still not sure wich is the best.

Also wich swatch do you use when choosing in the pms list. I often go for solid mat, cause I often print on normal paper. But i am not sure whats the difference between uncoated and coated version.

I found set called Pantone Formula Guide Designer Edition for 110 euro . It got solid mat, solid uncoated and solid coated. Also with a Pantone colorist software that worth 50 euro.

What you think of this pantone swatch set? Should i buy it?

#6 rinaldidesigns

rinaldidesigns

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2258 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:34 PM

I usually use the uncoated/matte...110 sounds good, I'm using a printers edition(bought a couple yrs ago (basically the same, I paid 90?).....its saved my behind many times, well worth it........

#7 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:34 PM

I am not sure cause there is also printer version but cost less. but only have solid coated and uncoated. for 81 euro.

I found them here http://shop.colourconfidence.com/
Here there cheap and only one get extra stuff:D

#8 ru7mka

ru7mka

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:50 AM

In internet find all!
:)

#9 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:01 PM

Just watched a short clip explaining Pantone system.

http://nl.youtube.co...h?v=l6r_CK0rNlk

Just hard to know which to buy cause all 3 systems together is pretty expensive.

Most at school we use Formula guide and not the bridge and process. However the clip explains the difference quite well.

#10 JasonLarche_Com

JasonLarche_Com

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:09 PM

PMS is used for printing specifics, and are never a promise. Printing vendors vary depending on how and what they are printing.. Using an RGB selector and converting it to CMYK does not help you produce any color similarity. RGB is a color system made for monitors, televisions, etc. red green blue, light passes through. CMYK is made for print. Which is why a computer screen will never reveal the true colors of what will print, they are two different color systems. When you send something to print, you usually do a swatch test between a few different colors to achieve the one you want on print, then proceed to use that swatch and same vendor to produce same results, it is a real pain in the ass. Unless you are producing something made for reprint, and sending it, yourself, to the vendor, then there is not a huge need to keep track or use specific swatches, because during the handoff there are most likely changed to fit various print applications. The pantone books are expensive, and they are handy, but unless you are the one dealing with the vendor, then just pick something relevant to work with. Thats my 2 cents, feel free to add....

#11 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:46 PM

I already bought a pantone huey and pantone swatches that makes both the best screen color and print colors. I advice them if you go professional because there are allot of differents and you don't want to print a color and it show up as another out your printer.

#12 NancyCarter

NancyCarter

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 827 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:30 PM

I try and educate my clients on color management and challenges. This helps to set realistic expectations.

I work in RGB, because all of my clients will first view thier logos onscreen. They are pretty much deciding on their onscreen colors. Once settled on, I hand pick Pantone and CMYK values to best match the onscreen appearnce using reference books.

While in development, I am careful to avoid using colors that can not be reproduced in CMYK. Since CMYK colors onscreen are actually represented in RGB and rarely accurately represent the printed results of those values I don't present my work in CMYK.

I've sucked it up and bought several different Pantone books. They've proven invaluable and a worthwhile investment! My favorites are the Bridge set (coated and uncoated) .... they show Pantone swatches next to CMYK (values given) and suggest RGB values for onscreen purposes. I bought my set for $125, I think. http://www.pantone.c...px?pid=286&ca=1

I used to manually compare process chips to pantone spots. Still do sometimes. It was tedious, but effective. My process chip books are cumbersome, but they can come in handy if clients want to keep a chip for reference.

I always compare matte and coated versions of a color. There are times when a different color assignment for each is advised.
Blessings,
Nancy

www.NancyCarterDesign.com

#13 JNT86

JNT86

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:15 AM

dont know much about printing, but i like to use the pantone colors purely for inspiration. alot of times i can find a nicer color from pantone than by trying to navigate the infinite range of a color picker. its scary when you realize that there are litterally millions of choices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users