• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 12:07 AM

I run Adobe Create Suite 6, the last non-subscription version of Adobe products.

Maybe if I win the Lottery, I will consider updating to the subcription Creative Cloud service.

In the mean time, I just now started to get the message that my version CANNOT OPEN newer version files (eps).

In the past, I got the message that some unsupported features would show up improperly, but it would still open the files.

Another nail in the coffin...

• PrismaCreative likes this

#2 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 01:27 AM

I am cheap and still use cs4. It workd perfect and opens all the files if someone will remmeber to save as legacy file. I sometimes have to ask to save as a legacy but other than that it works just fine for what I need. I have  zero plans to buy another suite for    omg  I think it was close  to 2200.00 at the time

I do have concerns about  what happens if my computer dies, I used my last disc with this computer from  2 yrs ago.

I would guess at that time  I will have to subscribe  or maybe I can find something on ebay  who knows

• HerbertNordal likes this

Like us on facebook

#3 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 03:18 AM

I confess ignorance about CorelDraw Mac. (and understanding of women)

Would Corel open the latest CC eps file and allow the re-saved file to be opened in CS6?

#4 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 03:45 AM

I have zero expiernce with  coreldraw  :(  I mean I can teach myself  I did back in 1998 and continue to learn new things. 

I remember my first illustrator uuggghh  I had horrid headaches trying to figure it out and photoshop. I didn't give up I put it away for a bit,  purchased photoshop elements ( scaled down version of photoshop) and worked that. I then opened illustrator again  and started playing and learning each tool, one tool at a time.     I n ow use illustrator mostly  :)

I have no idea what the other programs are like. I do know if designers use these other programs it is always best to include a legacy eps  and a svg file. Designers need to realize  just because a new product or higher level product is out there doesn't mean the client will have this. most clients if they have adobe products have purchased an older version or have friends with older versions. They do not have a need for the subscription, if they did they would not have had the need to hire a designer.   so always always include legacy vector files

I am seeing more and more svg files  so not quite sure what to think of that

• GAKA, senadneslan_juventus, DesignBear and 1 other like this

Like us on facebook

#5 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 04:42 AM

Sharie,

I struggle with the CC EPS files because clients often include EPS files in the brief. 

If I cannot open the EPS files, but only "place" the files, it is a critical limitation.

The CC EPS files are thus locked and cannot be adjusted for the current project, color mode or otherwise.

As I do not have CC, I do not know what legacy export is available, if any.

Backwards compatibility is essential, in my opinion.

This is especially true when a WEB designer submits a logo for print. grrrrrrr

I agree that new version are not always an improvement.

Back in the day, I hated Pagemaker and Quark for their limited update policy. (pay up or die)

Just saying, an EPS file should not be limited by the version of the creator program.

Thanks for your patience. 

(you probably can hear my teeth grinding from here)

I know that you too are not working in CC.

Frankly, DC might consider helping with a CC subscription, also giving you access to Adobe Fonts.

I know you have major trouble shooting responsibilities which could be helped by upgrading.

Sooner or latter...

Thanks again

• senadneslan_juventus likes this

#6 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 04:56 AM

Oh if you ask the client to save the eps as legacy  they are like huh? becasue they are only submitting the file sent to them   lol   so that is when I search for someone that has the newest,latest, greatest to open it and save it as legacy, legacy  you should be save to any of the previous versions ( should but who knows)  all else fails  I recreate the artwork  :(

Like us on facebook

#7 ramsro

ramsro

• Designer
  • 2231 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 07:39 AM

I have an Adobe subscription. If you ever need help with any files...I will gladly help you.

• sharie, HerbertNordal, GAKA and 1 other like this

#8 UniqueArts

UniqueArts

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 348 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:03 PM

Hello,

I cant save files from illustrator cc ( not enough memory ) ANY HELP PLEASE ......

#9 ramsro

ramsro

• Designer
  • 2231 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:37 PM

Hello,

I cant save files from illustrator cc ( not enough memory ) ANY HELP PLEASE ......

Try close all your applications, except illustrator, and try again.

• UniqueArts likes this

#10 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

also,

Check your Illustrator preferences for "plug-in & scratch disk"

The scratch disk is often used as virtual memory.

If you have additional hard drvies with plenty of space, select one as a secondary or even primary choice.

All those handy apps that run in the background eat memory.

In general, try to keep your work computer as clean as possible and free from any non-work related or experimental stuff. The operating system is hungry enough all by itself.

If the problem persists, you may consider adding more memory.

If you are running an old version of Illustrator you will not be able to install it on a new computer, even if you have the original install discs, because Adobe has disconnected the installation keys.

good luck

• sharie, ramsro, DesignBear and 2 others like this

#11 UniqueArts

UniqueArts

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 348 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:10 AM

Thanks to all your help.........

#12 UniqueArts

UniqueArts

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 348 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:14 AM

This is the previous setting

..plugin and scratch disk

..Primary : start up

..secondary : none

new setting 

..primary: start-up

..secondary : drive D.

Hope will solve the problem

Thanks

#13 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:52 AM

Please let us know if it works out.

Thanks

#14 UniqueArts

UniqueArts

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 348 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:05 AM

It works herbert. And i need to observer this after few days.......

Thanks
  • HerbertNordal likes this

#15 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:23 PM

another thought,

Virtual Memory is a technique that pretends hard drive space is real ram storage. The computer "thinks" it has much more ram than it actual has. It was a common technique when ram was really, really expensive.

Downside: compared to the natural speed of real ram, it is very slow.  When using virtual memory you have to travel around the state to get where you want. With real ram, it is just next door.

You may help the speed issue just a bit by defragmenting your scratch disk.

• UniqueArts likes this

#16 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:36 PM

Oh, one more thought...

Since you did not have a scratch disk configured for Illustrator, you should check your performance settings in Photoshop preferences for scratch disc setup and selection and memory usage.

#17 PrismaCreative

PrismaCreative

Guru

• Designer
  • 615 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 01:29 AM

Oh if you ask the client to save the eps as legacy  they are like huh? becasue they are only submitting the file sent to them   lol   so that is when I search for someone that has the newest,latest, greatest to open it and save it as legacy, legacy  you should be save to any of the previous versions ( should but who knows)  all else fails  I recreate the artwork  :(

A couple months back, I needed to view a Keynote document (on my Windows) .. I had to convert it to PDF or ppt.

During my struggle I come across this handy site. It saved my situation. The document was very important and I had just few days to reply..

Since then I keep it handy in my bookmark.. 

https://www.zamzar.com/url/

Maybe you can also find such services -Converters- which integrate with Google Drive.

Some may see it as a saver, while others may see it as a "Risk", especially if you deal w/ highly "Classified" files.

Personally I don't trust 100% these services but it does the job and saved the situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users