Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

DC Flash Header Design Contest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
&nsbp;

• Guests

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

i get what you mean and im positive my designs will get better..but i just am not sure how to go about it..when i saw bindmoneys entry i was wonderin how he did it. If he did it in ai or designed it all in flash..but i did it all in ai tjen expoted it to flash..im kinda learning as i go.. And bindmonkey how did you make that design?

yes, I understand :)
and what I wrote was actually it would help if you ask yourself the questions I asked you. Of course some things can be just "decorative elements" with no particular purpose, but not the entire design :)

as for practical questions. I hope that other contest participats can help you out. Feel free to start threads with your flash or design related questions on the forums.

/sergey

#202 BindMonkey

BindMonkey

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:26 PM

i get what you mean and im positive my designs will get better..but i just am not sure how to go about it..when i saw bindmoneys entry i was wonderin how he did it. If he did it in ai or designed it all in flash..but i did it all in ai tjen expoted it to flash..im kinda learning as i go.. And bindmonkey how did you make that design?

Hey agplonski... First of all i designed all of it in Flash. I am new to flash too only started using it for a few weeks.
The best way to do a design in my opinion is to first look at whats required for the banner read the Restrictions (eg Text=>Designcontest.net and logo.)thats all. The rest of the header then is based around these two elements. Best thing to do is place them into you new blank header, then think about what you want going on around them but making sure that it doesnt take away from the text and logo. Examples would be have background colours and other colours complementing the colours of the logo and text and with the rest of the forms.Then its just a matter of creating the animations to go with it.

As resurepus said there doesnt have to be a massive amount of animations just enough so there is a bit of interactivity. If you are wondering how to animate just google search there are many sites that will help...

Hope this helps.

#203 agplonski

agplonski

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:45 PM

thanks bindmonkey, ive started my new design for the banner and i hope i finish it in time
Knowledge is power

#204 BindMonkey

BindMonkey

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:15 PM

thanks bindmonkey, ive started my new design for the banner and i hope i finish it in time

Sounds good man can wait to see just dont make it too good ;)

#205 VonGizzle

VonGizzle

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:22 AM

With the new rules there is 2 more weeks till the end of this session of the contest.

Is the closing date the 29th? I'm not sure I'll have something in for then but definately next time.

J.

• Guests

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:21 PM

You have all the time till June the 1st.

#207 vektorthunder

vektorthunder

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:14 AM

damn, 1 june is close

just didn't find time to do this ... poor me :(
my works at :bnrdesign and istockphoto

• Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:59 PM

try not to miss the deadline next month :)

#209 BindMonkey

BindMonkey

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:48 AM

BindMonkey, sometimes it is worth spending some time on a project - this is exactly your case - your time was not wasted!

First when I opened the header I thought that it lacks interactivity. But then I saw the flying dots and then the falling "I". Very well done! That's a pity the animation is not very long. I would actually let the dots fly around longer. You can just cycle the movement after all. Other than that - great job, very original header!

With the new rules there is 2 more weeks till the end of this session of the contest. I hope that there will be some competition for your work. I mean I hope that you haven't just scared everybody away ;)

Finally got around to improving the banner a "little" at least.
There was still a little more i could have done to it but lack of time has gotten in the way and hard drive problems...etc.
All your comment are welcome and i hope that ye like the improvements.

This is the link
CLICK HERE

#210 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:05 AM

Guys, I don't want to spoil the creativity, but I really think our logo should be on the upper left and not decorated. It's the symbol people use to recognize our site, so it should stay consistent. If a logo is in a design, then it should be treated as something that can't be altered. When making a professional poster for a company, for example, you would never be allowed to change the logo in whichever way seemed necessary. Also, there are a few good reasons why most logos are on the upper left.

http://usability.abo...o_Placement.htm

Specifically to your design BindMonkey, the overall idea is pretty cool. A couple of comments though: The red-to-white gradient...probably best to avoid that whenever possible. Not sure why, but it just looks awkward in every design I've ever seen, including some of my own early works :) Another thing is that there's very little direction in this design. Graphics seem to just be placed randomly. It would be a good idea to decide on a particular flow or create a traditional composition. Either way, make something that organizes the shapes a bit. Lastly, the phrase "creating & inspiring designs" is hard to read because it's in front of a really high-contrast and intricate shape. You should try to dull that shape out a bit by either taking away some of the contrast or making it much less intricate.

#211 xorMedia

xorMedia

• Designer
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:12 PM

hi, all, i'm new here, but i try my luck, so i've created my version of the header, hope you like it :)

Click Here

#212 agplonski

agplonski

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:52 PM

hey xormedia thats a cool header you got. i like how when you roll your mouse over all the particals move away
Knowledge is power

#213 xorMedia

xorMedia

• Designer
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:04 PM

Thanks, i'm working on a second header, but i don't know if i get it in time
“How to succeed? Try hard enough.”
Malcolm Forbes 1919-1990

#214 xorMedia

xorMedia

• Designer
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:05 AM

After a long time i've created my second header, please wirte some reviews :)

Click Here
“How to succeed? Try hard enough.”
Malcolm Forbes 1919-1990

#215 Jake_168

Jake_168

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:12 PM

Erm... if I wanna join this community contest, which software should I use??? I'm currently using Ai CS3 now, and I just started learning to use Macromedia Flash 8, so I'm still a beginner in Flash.

#216 asassat2

asassat2

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:01 AM

these are actually cool. i like the one that the site is using now. is the contest over now? because nicks is already up.

#217 agplonski

agplonski

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:23 AM

xorMedia- on the 2nd header you did when i went to who it was created by i could not read it cuz of the colors but other than that its awsome.
Knowledge is power

#218 agplonski

agplonski

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:08 AM

And here it is at last! plz comment
CLICK
Knowledge is power

• Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:46 PM

This session of the header design contest is officially over. And the winner is xorMedia!
Please, send me the .fla file for the orange version and I will publish it right away.

as for continuation of the contest, I think I will start a new thread every month, that will make the contest easier to follow.

#220 agplonski

agplonski

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:36 PM

congrats to your first win xormedia! hope to see you design a new one for next month
Knowledge is power

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users